What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing gamma/lightness only for color RED

Angelus

Hello!
I am searching for a way to change the gamma and lightness of the color RED in a picture.

I already found the menu: Image->Adjustments->Hue Saturation where I can pick "reds" and change the lightness, but not gamma.
At Image->Adjustments->Exposure I can change gamma, but ONLY for the whole picture. What I want, is to change gamma only for red.

Background is: I have got a picture that seems a bit too much red (hard to describe) and at the computer at my office, I have an Intel graphics adapter, where I can change lightness and gamma only for red. And thats exactly the way my picture needs to be edited.

I also tried Image->Adjustments->Selective Color and increased the value of Cyan for reds, but the result is not as good as I edited at the computer at my office.

Hi Angelus
It would be best if you can post the image or a piece of the image as solution are often subject the what's going on in the picture.

However, the middle slider of the Levels adjustment Layer is effectively a gamma adjustment so if that is what you really think you need, give that a try while selecting only the red channel.

Just my opinion and hope that helps.

Hi John - FWIW, my guess is that the OP wants only a range of hues (around red) to be changed, not the entire red channel. The latter will affect almost all colors in the image. Then again, I could easily be wrong. Hopefully, Angelus will clarify this.

Tom M

This is the source image (I cut out faces)
Thank you, I just tried to move the middle slider of Levels adjustment Layer red channel and I think that is, what I was searching for! I moved it for about 0.05 to the right.
Maybe I also have to move the left slider to the right. But I will compare the results once again with my computer at the office.

Attachments

• photoshop-picture.jpg
    photoshop-picture.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 3

Back