What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting Photoshop manipulations from metadata

busybee

I thought I had made this impossible in preferences long ago, but evidently not. I just discovered that anyone reading the metadata on a processed image can see how and what I did to it in Photoshop.

How can I keep that info from showing up in metadata? I am using Bridge and CS5.

Hello busbee and welcome to PSG.

Interesting question. Checking on it.

Programs like Photo Mechanic, XnView (free), and others have a one click "delete all metadata" function, and it works -- I use both regularly, and they boot up much faster than PS.

Tom M

Last edited:
Programs like Photo Mechanic, XnView (free), and others have a one click "delete all metadata" function, and it works -- I use both regularly, and they boot up much faster than PS.

Tom M

I need to keep some metadata such as caption, title, keywords, contact info., and so on. All I want to make invisible are the steps I take in Photoshop in processing the image. Would the programs you suggest accomplish those goals?

Thanks - printed out the info. Will give it a try.

Would the Save for Web option (which I already do manually, i.e, mode, image resizing, and so on) keep the picture info such as caption, keywords, and so on, but take out the enhancing steps I used in PS?

I need to keep some metadata such as caption, title, keywords, contact info., and so on. All I want to make invisible are the steps I take in Photoshop in processing the image. Would the programs you suggest accomplish those goals?
XnView probably won't -- it's a free, simple program. It has fewer options for selectively removing IPTC / EXIF info. I'll double check tho, later today.

OTOH, Photo Mechanic will, but it would likely be a two step process. First, you would save the usual IPTC info (very easy to do), then delete all metadata, then replace only those IPTC and/or EXIF fields that you want to be visible.

Another option would be for you to use EXIF_tool / EXIFtoolGUI. It's free, and hence a bit more manual work would be required for each image.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:
Found this, not sure if it's what you're after

http://planetphotoshop.com/hiding-your-metadata-from-others.html

There's also the Save for Web option

View attachment 61026

Clicking on that URL, I printed out the information and then applied it to an image I had already worked in PS and saved as a Tiff.

Didn't work, in that the image lost all of its ITPC core but retained all the raw image data which is what I want to eliminate.

Back to the drawing board, so to speak.

Thanks for trying.

There used to be some way of doing this in PS preferences, but that may have been an earlier edition.

When in doubt, read the instructions. I've answered my own question by getting out an old Photoshop CS3 instruction booklet.

To tailor the type of metadata that travels with an image, go to File/File Info/ or bring up the basic PS or Bridge metadata box in some other way. Then hover your cursor over each tab heading for a time, and a circle with an X in the middle appears to the right of the heading. Click on that X and that category of metadata disappears. I tested this on several unworked images, and the modified metadata box came up, ditto on worked Tiff images.

Not sure how you get those categories back, should you want them. But for now, I"ve solved my problem.
Thanks to all of you for the assistance. It is much appreciated.

Back