What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Recreate These Images?

PhantomFox

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I saw the 'Request Tutorials' section but the last post said that posting to that thread might not get noticed, so feel free to move this if I should have posted there anyway. I was wondering if anybody could take the time to make a tutorial(s) on how to make these two images in PS, if possible. I would really appreciate it very much. And I have CS5 Extended, if it matters.

depositphotos_60210107-Radioactive-danger-symbol-with-a-shine-on-black-background.jpgad748e2479b04c659b0aded56db526af.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Which part of these images has been giving you the most problems?

a) Forming the basic radiation symbol like shape?

b) The colors and tones?

c) The long random radial rays?

d) The thin, annular, bright "ring of fire" effect just outside the radiation symbol (sorta like a photo during an eclipse of the sun's chromosphere)?

e) something else?

As you can see, there are many components to this image, and, to be honest, speaking for myself, it would be too much work and of too little general interest to put together a tutorial specific to this one image and which included all the above effects. In contrast, tutorials on the building blocks that constitute this/these images would likely be of interest to many more people, so pick one or two and we'll go from there.

Tom M

Last edited:

PhantomFox

Which part of these images has been giving you the most problems?

a) Forming the basic radiation symbol like shape?

b) The colors and tones?

c) The long random radial rays?

d) The thin, annular, bright "ring of fire" effect just outside the radiation symbol (sorta like a photo during an eclipse of the sun's chromosphere)?

e) something else?

As you can see, there are many components to this image, and, to be honest, speaking for myself, it would be too much work and of too little general interest to put together a tutorial specific to this one image and which included all the above effects. In contrast, tutorials on the building blocks that constitute this/these images would likely be of interest to many more people, so pick one or two and we'll go from there.

Tom M

I'd have to say the radial rays and the ring of fire effect, and possibly the colors and tones. I'm not quite experienced enough with PS to be able to just look at an image and know what kind of techniques and effects would be used in recreating it, so a full tutorial would have helped me most but I realize it's a bit much to ask for, so instructions on just some of the components would be much appreciated :)

Tom Mann

Guru
For the long random radial rays, try this tutorial:
http://imgry.com/exploding_planet/step-6.html

It's not as detailed as I would like, and he doesn't use the method I would use, but it's a reasonable place to start. I know I've seen a better tutorial for this effect -- I'll see if I can find it. Maybe one of the other regulars on here knows of one.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks, Ged. Both of those videos use exactly the technique I had in mind to get the starburst effect, but I just didn't have time to track them down last night. Let's see if the OP makes use of the info.

Thanks again,

Tom M

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used the exact technique as described by the vid tut that gedstar linked you with.

The main difference I did was alter the gradient.
I made the gradient look like this.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 12.31.19 AM.png

Then I used these wave settings.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 12.31.40 AM.png

This is what I had after the Polar Coordinates.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 12.32.40 AM.png

I duplicated this starburst and used it 3 times.
It's not absolutely the same.....but it's as close as I'm willing to take it for a demo.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 12.26.30 AM.png

PhantomFox

I used the exact technique as described by the vid tut that gedstar linked you with.

The main difference I did was alter the gradient.
I made the gradient look like this.
View attachment 61634

Then I used these wave settings.
View attachment 61635

This is what I had after the Polar Coordinates.
View attachment 61636

I duplicated this starburst and used it 3 times.
It's not absolutely the same.....but it's as close as I'm willing to take it for a demo.
View attachment 61637

Thanks for this suggestion, I like the result!