What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer with a Mask bleeding through to it's base image

Thanatos1

Hello -

I am currently using PS CS6 and I have a multi-layered image.

I have a base image, layer 2 with a layer mask, and a couple of adjustment layers.

The 2nd layer has a layer mask where the mask has 100% black around the image I want to display on the base image.

The problem is that parts of layer 2 that are masked out are bleeding through to the base image.

Any idea or suggestion on what is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks

Doug

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Doug
There are probably a variety of ways this could occur. Any change you could share the PSD layered file to help debug the problem?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Or maybe you could take some screen shots of your canvas and your layers panel.

Thanatos1

Hi Doug
There are probably a variety of ways this could occur. Any change you could share the PSD layered file to help debug the problem?

I could share the file or share screen shots.

I'll start with the screen shots first.

See later post.

Thanatos1

img1.jpgimg2.jpgimg4.jpgimg5.jpg

Image 1) Shows the basic layout of the image and the layers.

Image 2) Shows the difference between the background and the modification turned off.

Image 3) Shows the image on a solid 100% red background. If you zoom in on the image you can see the background bleeds through a little bit.

Image 4) This image highlights a section around the tire. Within the red square is where the background bleeds through. The squareish area with the box is the bleed through. It's slightly brighter than the darker color in the same area.

I have tried 2 or 3 things to use the masks properly, but the background still comes through. I don't want to cut the background out. I want to mask it.
All masking have been done at 100% fill and opacity. Including taking a brush with 100% hardness to work on the mask.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Attachments

• img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In the second image, there is nothing to be causing the defect.
The only layer mask visible has no black, so the defect must be in the base image or the copy, I can't tell as they are both active.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 5.33.52 PM.png

So try turning off the layer 1 copy to see if the defect is still there.

Unless you are only talking about this small area, then I would check layer 2.
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 5.40.54 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you upload the PSD file?

thebestcpu

Guru
The PSD file would be much faster.
Assuming that the red layer is solid red with no other funny layer styles, is that the black portions of the Layer Mask of what is labeled as Layer 2 are not totally black allowing the background of that Layer to be visible. I would check there first.
John Wheeler