What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove gutter shadow from colour scan?

Kristine

I've been playing around with this for ages now and just can't get it looking right. Surely there's a better way!
Can anyone offer some advice about how to remove the rather obvious gutter shadow from this scanned image.
Thanks so much.

Heron Illustration.jpg

Paul

Former Member
You could use the pen tool and make a copy of the bird and plant life or do a quick selection mask and then recolour the back ground lots of ways really.

Paul

Former Member
Or just paint it out just a really quick effort mind:thumbsup:

pnt.jpg

Kristine

Thanks. I don't really want to lose any of the original detail so was hoping there might be some kind of adjustment I could try. I did try painting it out though wasn't satisfied.

Paul

Former Member
Lets see your results mate, what detail are you referring to other than the bit of reed grass that could easily be transplanted or even drawn in satisfactorily.

Kristine

I'm hoping to retain the vintage quality of the paper. I had to reduce the scan considerably to upload it here though this will be a 120cm x 80cm print. As you can see, there are imperfections (graininess, spots, noise). I like those and want any "new" areas to blend.

Heron.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Can be easily added in, many filters offer such effects making a clear and concise request in the beginning would help you to achieve a quicker outcome if any members take up this free job:thumbsup:

Good luck in your quest:cheesygrin:

Kristine

Thank you. Yes, sorry, I was a bit vague to begin with. I've been playing around with the 'replace colour' adjustment with some success. Like I mentioned, just thought there might be a really basic method I was simply missing. Will keep plugging away at it. Cheers.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Kristine.

The results for this type of repair are never going to be perfect.
Here is about 15 minutes spent on this image with the Clone Stamp Tool.

It will alter the original image slightly but the texture is transferred to the repaired areas when using this tool.
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 11.47.58 AM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Another technique that I like to use in situations like this is to "steal" some texture from the opposite edge, do a left-right flip, re-position it over the problematic area, adjust its brightness, contrast, color, etc. to match the general look on that side of the image, and then start painting on the layer mask for it to blend it in nicely. Any remaining problems can be touched up using the patch tool. This can produce a fairly good match in texture on the left side.

Tom M

Attachments

• Heron_Illustration-tjm01-ps03a_cropped-698px_hi-8bpc-for_GIF.gif
    Heron_Illustration-tjm01-ps03a_cropped-698px_hi-8bpc-for_GIF.gif
    250 KB · Views: 18

Kristine

Thanks. Yes, I have been playing with the clone stamp tool. I actually tried cloning some areas from the right side edge and copying them over too. That was okay. Getting there!

Kristine

Ahh, yes Tom Mann. That's the kind of lateral thinking which was eluding me yesterday. I was cloning areas over from the right side. Though doing a flip, making some adjustments and masking areas back in should produce better results. Thanks.