What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for guidance

quietleader

Hello,

I would like to create the photo effect that is used on this website: http://industry.stnsvn.com
It is not exactly vintage or retro, but rather washed out or faded with one color (yellow) emphasized. Is there a name for this look?
I realize this effect might have been created with a camera rather than with editing. But there are so many clever uses of Photoshop, I'm willing to bet this effect could be applied to any photograph.

Can anyone suggest a way to achieve this effect? I am a novice user of Photoshop.

Thanks and best regards,
Warren

Hoogle

Guru
WHere as there are loads of plugins you can get such as Photo Looks by alienware that will 1 click this kind off effect, personally I believe it is better to learn what is going on so that you can colour correct your own work manually without relying on fancy plugins.

THis is a personal preference I suppose but the technique can be used with any colours to your liking.

Step 1 add a vibrance adjustment layer (try to stick to adjustment layers as they can be easily changed to suit) decrease vibrance and saturation slightly. And that may be enough of the effect for you.

Then it is just a case of adding some new layers and filling it with solid colours and changing the layer blendng modes to soft light/overlay or whatever you like and lower the opacity/fill if it suits you.

Yes you can take it further like doing levels adjustments and curves even colour balance but that is what you will learn over time to suit you and your preference.

Original

43285b96b67fbad5af6fe5469e363081.jpg

Edited
ccimage.PNG