What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating (Rendering) 3D Text question... ?

alargos

Hello there photoshopers :help::wave2:

I have a problem while following this tutorial

The rendering of the text .. it's not the same it's shown on the video, i don't know why... but i've made a video from my problem... so you can see and tell me where is my mistake or .. do i need to activate or check some option in order to be perfect... ?

As you can see the rendered text in my video .. having a grainy dots after the render finish.. so when i come to the steps where i need to change the background color (color balance)... there comes the problem... any help and advice how to solve this problem :eek::banghead:?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I don't think you're doing anything wrong per-se, in fact you did pretty well to follow that tutorial to be honest.

One thing they did mention though is that the rendering may take a while.....and judging by their result it was rendering for some time.

The problem lies in the shadows and giving enough time for PS to render them....the longer you leave it the better but PS will time out at some point unless you increase the time allowed....

3D_render_time_MT_01.png

In the 3D Preferences try changing the quality of the 'Shadows' FIRST.

If that makes no difference then up the render time....'Ray Tracer Threshold'.
Don't go mad with this setting...increase by 1 or 2 at a time....it'll increase the render time considerably and even though you can 'stop' the render by hitting the 'Esc' key this will also take a considerable amount of time to actually kick in and stop rendering.....have a good book to hand.

Try those two settings and give it a day or two to render....OK, maybe not that long but several hours at least.....that's one thing they didn't tell you in the tutorial.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

alargos

I don't think you're doing anything wrong per-se, in fact you did pretty well to follow that tutorial to be honest.

One thing they did mention though is that the rendering may take a while.....and judging by their result it was rendering for some time.

The problem lies in the shadows and giving enough time for PS to render them....the longer you leave it the better but PS will time out at some point unless you increase the time allowed....

View attachment 62825

In the 3D Preferences try changing the quality of the 'Shadows' FIRST.

If that makes no difference then up the render time....'Ray Tracer Threshold'.
Don't go mad with this setting...increase by 1 or 2 at a time....it'll increase the render time considerably and even though you can 'stop' the render by hitting the 'Esc' key this will also take a considerable amount of time to actually kick in and stop rendering.....have a good book to hand.

Try those two settings and give it a day or two to render....OK, maybe not that long but several hours at least.....that's one thing they didn't tell you in the tutorial.

Regards.
MrToM.

Here are my default settings without changing them...

2016-03-15_01-24-33.jpg
What do you prefer ? :beerchug:...

alargos

Sorry, I don't follow....prefer out of what?

Regards.
MrToM.

About the settings... do you really think it's about it? and wha kind of settings you prefer .. shall i incrase something or decrase?

MrToM

Guru
About the settings... do you really think it's about it? and wha kind of settings you prefer .. shall i incrase something or decrase?
If you read my original post you'll see I outlined my suggestions there...

...In the 3D Preferences try changing the quality of the 'Shadows' FIRST.

If that makes no difference then up the render time....'Ray Tracer Threshold'...

There are no 'preferred' settings as such, its all trial and error....you'll just have to change the settings, do a render and see what happens.....if it looks like its not going well then stop the render, change the settings and try rendering again.

Every image is different, every 'system' is different.....slower machines will obviously take longer to do the same tasks.....larger images will also take much longer.

Its very dependent on YOUR system.....YOUR image......YOUR settings.

Experiment with it....and hopefully it wont take long to get a good result.

Regards.
MrToM.

alargos

If you read my original post you'll see I outlined my suggestions there...

There are no 'preferred' settings as such, its all trial and error....you'll just have to change the settings, do a render and see what happens.....if it looks like its not going well then stop the render, change the settings and try rendering again.

Every image is different, every 'system' is different.....slower machines will obviously take longer to do the same tasks.....larger images will also take much longer.

Its very dependent on YOUR system.....YOUR image......YOUR settings.

Experiment with it....and hopefully it wont take long to get a good result.

Regards.
MrToM.

Ok so .. what kind of relation have this rendering with the part with the background color balance where you need to give the background some soft pinky color... ? why i'm not able to do the same as it's shown on the video? (you can see on my video)

MrToM

Guru
...Ok so .. what kind of relation have this rendering with the part with the background color balance where you need to give the background some soft pinky color... ?...
For any applied 'Layer Styles' to look at their best you need a good clean surface to start with....ie, no noise.

Granted, you don't technically need to have a perfectly clean surface but you want it to look good right?

...why i'm not able to do the same as it's shown on the video? (you can see on my video)...
Your background colour is white.....using the 'Colour Balance' adjustment layer on anything white effectively does nothing.

The tutorial does not have a white background after rendering.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Sorry it's taken me so long, I just haven't had the time to view the videos.

I followed the original and I will admit that it has a LOT to be desired!
Here's my result. Not exact but close.
Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 2.01.12 PM.png

One of your problems occurs at 1:56 of your video. You need to select a material that has color from the material picker. I used one of the metal presets.
Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 2.07.26 PM copy.png