What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know how to make these "tumblr 3D aesthetics" kind of effect ?

lbahroune

Hi guys ! i'm actually in the making of a project for my art class, and i'm stuck at trying to create 2 things i often see on Tumblr.

The first thing is a "3D deformed grid" which i guess is often made with the help of blender/3ds max/maya, but i don't really have the time to do it on these soft, anyone know how to do this on photoshop ?
grid.jpg
(I tried a bit with the "puppet deform" tool)

anddd the Second thing is a "Rainbow shining holographic" effect, that i, really don't know how to make ahah
holo.jpg

If someone have any idea, that'd help me so much !
Thanks a lot for reading,
Loup.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Tom Mann

Guru
The wavy colors in the sky look a lot like a physical phenomena that goes by various names, e.g., "strain induced birefringence", "photoelasticity", "photoelastic fringes", etc.

There was a thread on it here in PSG a year or so ago titled, "Holographic Effect: Help!".

In that thread, @chrisdesign demonstrated how one could come close starting with a wood pattern:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ffect-help-post1533704969.html#post1533704969 (post #4)

I did a review of the scientific literature in that same thread:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ffect-help-post1533704974.html#post1533704974 (post #6)
and found that the best simulations of these effects were always done in some mathematical programming language, not Photoshop.

However, all is not lost. Just a week or so ago, in a different thread, IamSam showed how to use the liquify filter to transform a pattern of concentric and overlapping black and white circles into something very, very close to a black and white version of the strain induced birefringence effect you are looking for:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...same-style-post1533729021.html#post1533729021

If you then follow Chris's procedure to colorize Sam's patterns (ie, instead of the wood patterns in Chris's original post), and add the glitchy TV lines, I think you will have a winner!

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Tom, I was searching for that first thread where chris used the wood pattern, unfortunately, my schedule today has be hectic...........too many irons in the fire.

lbahroune

Thanks Sam ! Thanks Tom !
Your answers helps me a lot, and if I find something that could help in the making of these wavy holographic backgrounds, i'll let you know !

Have a nice day,
Loup

lbahroune

Okay so i finally managed to create these effects !
test 1.png
So here is my first test, i'll let you guys know how i made it
(I used GIMP, as some effects aren't in photoshop, i'm really not familiar with it, so i'll try to explain the best as i can)

1st Step
Import your picture in Gimp, and apply a "video filter" on it (wide striped preset)

2st Step
Launch the "I warp filter"

3st Step
Export the picture, then import it in photoshop (way better than gimp, thanks god)
Then play with RGB layers, saturation, luminosity, etc...

Thanks for the help guys !

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This has always been able to be done in Photoshop using a pattern overlay layer style for the "video filter". Then use the liquify filter to distort.
However, I don't feel that it recreates the holographic glitch effect. I'll have to experiment with to see what I can come up with.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 8.45.40 AM.png