What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google’s $150 Nik Collection of Photo Editing Software is Now 100% Free

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for posting this news item, Ged!

I've been using their plugins since the early 2000's and have the complete set, so this offer doesn't particularly help me out. But I would comment that this is one of my favorite collections of Photoshop plugins (especially their Color Efx Pro group), so I heartily recommend this product to anyone who hasn't yet tried it. Get it while you can!

Of course, the unspoken downside of this announcement is that they will not be doing any further development of tools like these. My guess is that if we are lucky, Google may add a few of the effects (in a dumbed down version) to Google Photos, just like they turned off support for their very useful Picasaweb product in favor of the dumbed down, least-common-denominator, appeal-to-the-masses Google Photos.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - Since their license server for the paid versions will undoubtedly also soon go off-line, to ensure I continue to have access to the NIK tools, I downloaded the new free version and installed it on my system. The download wasn't all that bad, probably less than 15 seconds. It installed without a hitch over my paid versions, and worked flawlessly.

Tom M

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

I've been using their plugins since the early 2000's and have the complete set, so this offer doesn't particularly help me out. But I would comment that this is one of my favorite collections of Photoshop plugins (especially their Color Efx Pro group), so I heartily recommend this product to anyone who hasn't yet tried it. Get it while you can!

Of course, the unspoken downside of this announcement is that they will not be doing any further development of tools like these. My guess is that if we are lucky, Google may add a few of the effects (in a dumbed down version) to Google Photos, just like they turned off support for their very useful Picasaweb product in favor of the dumbed down, least-common-denominator, appeal-to-the-masses Google Photos.

Tom M

So this is the full, unadulterated version like what you have, right?

That's what I thought was the reason they're offering it free. Most especially that they're giving refunds to those who purchased it in 2016.

Tom Mann

Guru
So this is the full, unadulterated version like what you have, right?
As far as I can tell, yes, it appears to be identical to the version I've been using for the last year or two except that evrrything pertaining to the license key hasbeen removed.

Tom M