What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Placing a pattern in a shirt w/ realistic look

cameronls

Hello,

I generally consider myself pretty good at Photoshop but I'm completely stumped with this.
I'm trying to put various patterns into a blank shirt and make it look as realistic as possible.

I tried changing the pattern layer blending mode to Color but it practically disappeared. I guess because it's a white shirt. So I tried it with a medium toned shirt but it looked horrible.

Then I tried putting a copy of the shirt on top and changing the blending mode to Multiply to preserve the shading and details but that didn't look good at all either.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

View attachment euipment blank shirt2.psdView attachment test pattern.psd

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Apart from what Colleague said the details are always important to cheat the brain viewer XD

View attachment 63143

Looks good, Argo.

But depending on the texture design used, I would apply separate textures for the sleeves, collar and pocket. On a real shirt, the textures won't follow the texture design in these parts as these are made separately before sewn together into finished product.

Argos

Guru
Totally agree, annother detail that i miss :thumbsup:.

Cheers!

Postdata: and separate the pattern just in the middle of the shirt so the left part doesn't match the right one, because the shirt is not simetric.

Last edited:

cameronls

Thanks Argos!
Did you do anything different then what Colleague mentioned already aside from splitting the pattern into the parts of the shirt? Love all these suggestions.

Argos

Guru
Well i erased the pattern on the inside of the shirt, add some blur filter to the pattern, and play a little with the color, light, contrast adjustment. Looking it right now i think still needs to low the black boots on the pattern to blend better.

Cheers!