What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get this effect?

OGonzo

Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the effect used in this pattern (attached). I want to create this similar look but don't know how to achieve it or where to start. A tutorial if one exists would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-01 at 8.27.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-01 at 8.27.09 PM.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 39
Where did this come from? Do you have the original image?

It's from an article of clothing, I took the photo. It's a piece of smooth stretch nylon (or spandex material) with digital printing on it.
The original photo I posted was a close up photo.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-01 at 11.59.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-01 at 11.59.52 PM.png
    224 KB · Views: 35
OK, thanks. I'm working on this...........but I can't guarantee I will be able to match the effect. I see now it's a Tie Dye.

Three or four layers maybe each layer with brush lines across with varying tones of grey on each layer apply a motion blur with the movement marker set at just off vertical maybe.

I was playing with a torn paper idea, then use one of the filters.

View attachment 63328

This seems like a good approach to start with, the torn paper idea. And yeah the idea of it being kind of tie dye will be helpful to play around with. Thanks!
I'll keep playing around with it and see how it goes.

Last edited:
You may be able to use the 'Clouds' filter too, as a mask....just to add a little 'randomness'.

Regards.
MrToM.

Three or four layers maybe each layer with brush lines across with varying tones of grey on each layer apply a motion blur with the movement marker set at just off vertical maybe.

I agree, this will probably need a few layers. Those are some good ideas, I will try to motion blur and see what other variations i can play around with. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have it this far. Time for some filter experiments, blurs, shading, etc,.
Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 11.37.23 PM.png

So I was able to get a similar feel for what I was looking for with a combination of everyone's suggestions. I created the shapes with a torn edge look then added a motion blur. From there I just layered things over each other in various blending modes. Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 9.57.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 9.57.16 PM.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 15

Back