What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending multiple focal lengths

nirandor

Hello everyone,

I have been haunted by this question for the last two weeks and didn't manage to find an answer so far. In an interview, the famous landscape of photographer Ted Gore said that he blended two images (one shot at 14mm, the other at 24mm) so that the mountain in the background appears bigger than in the wider angle shot.

He sells a tutorial where he covers that focal length blending technique, however for me it is too expensive as a student just for this piece of information. I would include the link, but I do not know, if I am allowed to. The picture is called Torre Del Terror. I would really appreciate your help or a link to a guide, tutorial etc. explaining this particular technique.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer. I am familiar with focus stacking and the phlearn tutorial is indeed great. Unfortunately, the second link is also covering focus stacking and the third one is "just" a huge pano that uses multiple focal lengths indeed, but not quite what I was looking for.

I presume, that he masked in the mountain in some way, but I can't figure out how to do it seamlessly.

I personally dont know if I have a set of images I could practice on at the moment, so I can't really tell you exactly how to do it... However if you have an image set I could do a test on, I could show you how I would do it(if I can that is...)

some parts of the video tutorial it seems that he tries to apply a DOF effect, but this can be done with filter> lens blur > alpa channel (mask layer) on 1 or more layers.
instead of using multiple source files.

Back