What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scaled pattern fill?

MoltresRider

I was converting all my old gimp patterns into Photoshop patterns, prior to doing so, I noticed that there was a scale option for patterns when I was editing a layer style I found on the internet. I decided to not make the smaller of the same patterns into Photoshop patterns assuming there was a scale percentage option like there was in layer styles. These smaller version patterns as well as the large original GIMP Pattern is now long gone. Is there a way to use the pattern fill tool but the actual pattern be scaled up or down?

Photoshop CC 2015

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
cantyou just use blending options and select pattern overlay, that way under the pattern selector you get a scale slider so you can adjust it to suit

MoltresRider

That will still cause me to have to create multiple files. A style for each size. I do not have a slider unless I am creating a brand new style or editing another. in either case, it bugs me to save the style. I don't feel like going through 4 or 5 windows just to adjust the size each time. Layer styles only work on entire layers, not just a selected area. Plus layer styles do something with just pattern overlay that messes with the pattern and it doesn't look right. I guess it has something to do with the "required" 'blending' effect that I cannot remove regardless of the effects or styles I work with

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MoltresRider said:
Is there a way to use the pattern fill tool but the actual pattern be scaled up or down?
First, there is no Pattern Fill Tool, there is only 'Pattern Fill'.

Second, YES, there is a way to scale from Pattern Fill.
See where is reads "SCALE"?
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 11.22.40 PM.png

Once a pattern has been loaded into Photoshop, it can be accessed in many ways. One being Pattern Fill and another would be with a LAYER STYLE, specifically PATTERN OVERLAY. When using pattern overlay, the pattern does not need to be "Greyscale".

Here is a colored Pattern added to the image using Pattern Overlay in a Layer style. Note that the patterns blend mode is set to MULTIPLY.
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 11.32.43 PM.png

You seem to be confused. There's no need to make styles for each one. You only need to load the Patterns into Photoshop. All other adjustments can be made through whatever method you use to apply the pattern.

You can also constrain a pattern to a selection on a single layer using a Pattern Fill adjustment layer which has a mask. You can change it's blending mode as well.
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 11.38.41 PM.png

I realize you may be new to Ps, but don't make assumptions about what can NOT be done until you know for sure.