What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pan while editting text...?

MrToM

Guru
Came across a situation today where I needed to be zoomed in way past the boundaries of some paragraph text in order to edit a series of single characters.

Annoyingly I couldn't find any way to 'pan' the canvas whilst in 'text edit' mode, having to end my edit, pan, then go into edit mode again instead.

I had a search around and found a solution for Illustrator, (hold down the 'Alt' key), but nothing for Photoshop.

So....is this even possible?

Does anyone know how to pan while editing text?

Am I having one of my days?

Thanks.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great question! Don't know if this will help you.

On my Mac, I use the magic mouse with all of it's touch scrolling features turned on. In Photoshop, when I'm zoomed in on a paragraph of text and while editing said text, I can pan in all directions using the touch scroll of the mouse.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Sam.

Tricky one eh?

Are there no standard keyboard shortcuts for a Mac either?

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Paul but where am I looking?

Could you just tell me what or where the solution is in those links to save me trawling through a whole bunch of shortcuts please?

Thanks.

Regards.
MrToM.

Paul

Former Member
Couldn't you just use the hand tool to move around the font when zoomed in or right click in hand mode for rotational tool?

Paul

Former Member
From second link -

18. Command + Enter = Commit… Anything: Instead of hitting that annoying little check box on the top menu bar, if you use this shortcut, you’ll be able to exit out of Type Tool editing mode. As a bonus, this shortcut also works for committing Transform edits as well!
191.png
19. Fast Cycling through Fonts: Trying to see which font would work best for that header copy? Select the text layer you’d like to adjust, make sure the text tool is active, and simply click on the font name’s input field. Once this field is highlighted, you can simply hit the Up and Down Arrow to cycle through your various fonts. You can also hit certain letters to jump through to various parts of your font library. Oh, and need to just experiment with one or two words in your text field? You can highlight the words you want to play around with and cycle through the fonts using the same method.

MrToM

Guru
Sorry Paul.....I appreciate your help but I'm failing to see how this relates to panning the canvas while in text editing mode.

The problem arises in this mode because the spacebar cannot be used as a shortcut for panning......it does its real job of putting spaces in the text.

What I'm after is an 'alternative' to the spacebar when editing text...like using the 'Alt' key in Illustrator.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about the problem.

I don't think its possible but thought I'd ask just in case.

Regards.
MrToM.

Paul

Former Member
My bad sorry i couldn't help, i just thought you was wanting to pan around the font zoom in and out while doing edit work?

MrToM

Guru
No worries, thanks again, appreciated.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Hey MrTom

Does holding Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Spacebar do what your looking for?
You can move the Text around that way while still in Text Edit mode!

MrToM

Guru
...Does holding Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Spacebar do what your looking for?..
It most certainly does! :thumbsup:

Thank-you very much.....must have been the only combination I didn't try!

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Credit goes to Pierre over in Adobe Photoshop Forum
I googled everywhere and couldn't find a solution so posted the question over there, glad it worked for you

MrToM

Guru
Thanks again....I suppose I could have done that myself really.....never thought....sorry.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great find Ged! I had tried all combinations of keys except that! LOL!

I would program a hotkey for that combo, it's a bit cumbersome to execute.

MrToM

Guru
...I would program a hotkey for that combo, it's a bit cumbersome to execute...
It joins an exclusive group along with Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E for stamping to a new layer!

A real twinger fister!

Oo err.

Friday afternoon decision me thinks. :rofl:

It seems that Ctrl + Alt + Spacebar will allow scrubby zoom too without losing the text edit mode...bonus!

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It joins an exclusive group along with Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E for stamping to a new layer!

A real twinger fister!.

Well, yes and no. Cntrl + Alt + Shift + E can be performed with two hands.

Shift + Cntrl + Alt + spacebar needs to be done with one hand so you can operate the mouse/Pen with the other!