What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help making a person look like a ghost. 2

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Do you have a photo you would like to use? If so, go ahead and upload it.

Tom Mann

Guru
Also, people have many, very different ideas of what a ghost might look like, so perhaps you could also post an example of what you would like the result to look like. After all, not all ghosts look like "Casper, the Friendly Ghost" from the 1950 cartoons, the characters in "Ghostbusters" or "Beetlejuice", LOL.

Tom M

gedstar

Guru
Click on the image icon, then click on the browse button and locate the image you want to upload and click on the Upload File(s)

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Sush2430

2014-08-04 23.55.38.pnghere is the image and the ghost effect is to be applied for the girl

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm interested in seeing some takes on this effect.

I will say that this could work out better if you had another image of yourself in a similar position so that the girl could be added to it.

For example:

A photo of you....
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 3.17.45 PM.png

....a photo of her.......
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 3.18.28 PM.png

......and the final photo is a ghostly image of her with you.
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 3.18.47 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is that everything behind the girl in your image must be created since it's missing information so that the girls image can be rendered transparent. It can be done, but that's a lot of work.

White area is missing information.
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 3.28.51 PM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
IF you have a tripod and someone to help you take the picture (ie, so you don't have to walk back and forth to the camera), the classic way to do this is in-camera.

Take two pix: The first with the girl, and a second without her but with everyone and everything else (including the camera) in *exactly* the same positions as the 1st picture.

For a very simple ghostly effect, one could the blend in a small fraction of the picture that includes the girl. It would look like you could see right through her.

T

PS - That being said, you still haven't answered my earlier question about what type of ghost effect are you looking for.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PPS - For lots of fun examples of the double or multiple exposure technique, just Google {double exposure ghost hoax} and similar combinations of terms. Many of the most famous supposedly ghost images were done on film as far back as the late 1800's, well before Photoshop, by combining 2 or more images in the camera on a single piece of film, without any of the flexibility that PS now gives us in terms of layers at lowered opacity.

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
I think the op's request is for the image supplied to be manipulated, not go out and retake an image from an event that lasted seconds and probably may never happen again?

Tom Mann

Guru
As the old saying goes, it appears that "Elvis left the building, and never returned" ... and that was after making a grand total of only 3 posts (all in this thread).

Sorry you all put so much work into this, but hopefully at least it was a bit of fun for you.

T

Last edited: