What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shadows & Highlights in Camera Raw filter....

sidismycat

Hello,

Quick question! I have been using camera raw to edit the shadows and highlights values of an image. But I need to recreate this outside of camera raw so I can apply it via a colour lookup table to multiple images. The option via Image/Adjustments/Shadows Highlights hasn't given me the same value options as in camera raw.

Can anyone help please? I'm using the Photography tab and the Adjustments tab group within that. Unless I'm being daft (almost certainly) I can't find a shadows/highlights adjustment within this tab.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Mann

Guru
The Image/adjustments / shadows-highlights algorithm is much more sophisticated algorithm and offers more processing options than either the ordinary tonal adjustments in ACR or a lookup table. Probably the most critical difference is that shadows-highlights uses values from the surrounding pixels (as determined by the radius adjustment) to compute the new value of each pixel. The other two approaches only operate on a pixel-by-pixel basis with no reference to the surrounding pixels.

Bottom line: You will never be able to exactly duplicate the effect of shadows-highlights using a lookup table. My recommendation is that since you have a lot of images to process, you write a little PS action or droplet for yourself. Note that you can save all the settings for shadows-highlights as a preset.

HTH,

Tom M