What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text effect like this (Breakthru SNES cover)

MoltresRider

How would I make text look like the text in this box art for BreakThru? I want to create a similar effect but fousing the text "BreakThru Moltres World Tour" for album art for my workout treadmill music when I use the gym at the college I attend. the treadmill settings will be adjusted based on the leveling system of the original BreakThru game. I want the same effect as this text but using my own font. The music is my own except with each level's soundfonts

It would be preferred that I achieve this using Layer Styles so I can save it

Attachments

• Breakthru!_SNES.jpg
    Breakthru!_SNES.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 25

Rich54

Guru
You didn't say exactly what aspect of the text effect you would like to replicate, but I'm guessing it's the staggered heights, where some letters are higher or lower than others. There are two ways you can achieve this.
1. Type each letter individually on its own layer. Then you can move the layers, or resize them, any way you like.
2. Type the text normally on one layer. Then, with the Text tool active, click on the Text Effects box (circled in red below). Within that box are several text adjustments. One of them (also circled in red) is called Baseline Shift and adjusts individual letters either up or down. A positive number moves the selected letter up; a negative number moves it down.

Text Effect.jpg

MoltresRider

I meant the whole thing. Color, shallow 3d outline, dark shadow bottom, everything.

If I don't specify, it should be pretty clear I want the entire thing

Rich54

Guru
If I don't specify, it should be pretty clear I want the entire thing

That's an interesting viewpoint. I'll have to try that the next time I order dinner at a restaurant.

First you need to find a font that looks like your example. I do not have a font like that, so I chose a different one for illustration.
Then you set the font to the color you like.
The background is an orange-red color, but the text has been stroked (outlined) a slightly different color. I used a red stroke on the text.
The black that makes it look 3-D is a drop shadow. You'll have to experiment with the settings and angle to get the right look.
Lastly, some letters are raised higher than others. I already explained how to do that above.

Text Effect.jpg