What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 vs. CS5 64-Bit

Rich54

Guru
Just got a new computer yesterday and successfully installed CS5 (from the original CD I purchased years ago). But it installed two versions, one that says CS5 and one that says CS5 64-Bit. I briefly researched this and saw a few articles saying that 64-bit is faster if your computer can accommodate it. My new computer is 64-bit OS (Win 10). It has 16GB of RAM and an Intel i7, 3.4GHz processor. Does anyone have any advice on this? Are there any hidden traps here, or should I just go ahead and run the 64-bit version.

Hoogle

Guru
Nope 64 bit is the way to go, however back then not all plugins were 64 bit capable, so as a rule in general yes 64 bit is great and has more features, it will run faster and use more power to get that speed, your spec is fine, But depending on which plugins you are running you may find you will still need a 32 bit version.

With that kind of machine it would be a crime to run a 32 bit version of ps on it unless you really had to.

Rich54

Guru
Nope 64 bit is the way to go, however back then not all plugins were 64 bit capable, so as a rule in general yes 64 bit is great and has more features, it will run faster and use more power to get that speed, your spec is fine, But depending on which plugins you are running you may find you will still need a 32 bit version.

With that kind of machine it would be a crime to run a 32 bit version of ps on it unless you really had to.

Thanks. I don't have any plug-ins at all, so I should be all set. I'm still getting the new computer set up (transferring my files and fonts from the old machine to the new, etc.), but once I finish the housekeeping I'm looking forward to some high-performance Photoshop. Got a new wide-screen monitor, too... Christmas came early in my house.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hoogle, as usual, got it exactly right. Install both versions -- the seemingly "extra" version may not be needed at the moment, but as he said, there are lots of great old plugins that are only 32 bit, and someday, you might want to use one of them. It will hardly take up any significant amount of space on your HD.

BTW, this is exactly what I do.

Cheers,

Tom M