What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone recommend a more efficient workflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecox

I am creating a 30 page book in Ps using a template file I created; basically an image size that represents the page size.

Here is my workflow.

1. I select a group of images in Lr,
    1. Move them to Ps using "Edit in"
    2. drag each image into the template file, one by one.
    3. delete the imported images, one-by-one,
      1. clicking the don't save option pop up; a tedious process.
  2. I go into the template file layers,
    1. size down each over large image
    2. organize them into a montage,
    3. group them
    4. start over with a new set of images.

As it stands my "template" file has several grouped layers; each group being a single page.

I was wondering if I should create a separate file for each page, using the template file over and over. Would this make it possible to automate or streamline the process in some way? Or should I continue as I'm doing but refine the process.

There must be an easier way to do this!

Tom Mann

Guru
There certainly is a better (ie, faster, more flexible, more capable, etc.) way:

Just use Adobe InDesign - https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/what-is-indesign.html

Watch the 1 minute video at the top of the webpage I cited. The short amount of time it will take you to learn InDesign will pay off in spades on this project, as well as increase your skill set.

If you aren't sure, just rent a copy from Adobe for a month. I don't know the current pricing, but it isn't much, and will save you lots of headaches the first time you want to make some seemingly minor modification to your current layout.

HTH,

Tom M

mikecox

There certainly is a better (ie, faster, more flexible, more capable, etc.) way:

Just use Adobe InDesign - https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/what-is-indesign.html
Thanks Tom,

If I were going to make a habit of creating photo books I might give this option a try. As it is I'm already up to my eyeballs with learning curves, those of Ps, Lr, PrE and Photomatix, I don't have the time, or inclination, to add another app to this list, I'm just looking for a way to streamline my Ps workflow.

mikecox

Cant you just use the photobook templates within lightroom...
Yes, but I made the mistake or buying a photobook from Costco, so I have to publish to Costco! So I need to format effort to that book, and their online process got complicated so I decided to created the pages on a Transparency, in Ps, then add them, all arranged, into the pages of the online book. It just seemed quicker than leaning how to manage the online app; maybe I was wrong about that :eek: Maybe I should look at the photobook templates module, but I thought they were automatically set up to publish, to a vendor in the templates module.

Status
Not open for further replies.