What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to get a similar effect as this, need some suggestions.

OGonzo

So here is the original inspiration. It was something I saw on a shirt. I thought it was a cool looking effect and I am trying to figure out how to get a look similar to it.

original image.png

And now this was my attempt at it, using different brush strokes and different filters (the crosshatch filter being one of them). It doesn't look quite right to me (the color is off but that's not as important). Any suggestions? Perhaps a different approach?

my attempt.png

Hoogle

Guru
go to filter > gallery > Brush Strokes > Crosshatch and turn up the strength on any image and you will get same effect as here .

OGonzo

go to filter > gallery > Brush Strokes > Crosshatch and turn up the strength on any image and you will get same effect as here .

Thanks. I initially did play around with the filter settings. That is definitely a filter that needs to be used. I think it's just a matter of playing around with the design before using the filter. I've used different brush shapes as well. I'll continue to try to do different things, probably just a trial and error approach till it looks the way I want it to.

Gonzo,

I would also play with the opacity on your brushes - to get tha see-through look.

Agent

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just played with several different filters

Spatter
Crosshatch
Diffuse Glow
Texture

I just kept experimenting until I had something similar.
Abstract_05.jpg

Paul

Former Member
I used your original painted effect then i applied three new variations using standard Photoshop tools with opacity adjustments applied to individual layers.

First image layer i gave it a slight box blur then made a copy of that to work the next layer effect to.
Second image with opacity reduced i used the dry brush tool again made a copy.
And lastly i used the accented edges tool.

box.jpg

OGonzo

I used your original painted effect then i applied three new variations using standard Photoshop tools with opacity adjustments applied to individual layers.

First image layer i gave it a slight box blur then made a copy of that to work the next layer effect to.
Second image with opacity reduced i used the dry brush tool again made a copy.
And lastly i used the accented edges tool.

View attachment 64182

Great stuff. Definitely some good approaches to this!

Looking much better, and closer to the original image.

Nice work. Kinda reminds me of WWI German airplane camouflage.

Attachments

• wingmap.jpg
    wingmap.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

OGonzo

Hey, So I wanted to post an update. Here is the image I finally ended up with. Much closer to what I wanted to try to pull off. Thanks for all of the help and all of the suggestions!

I played with the opacity of the brush strokes and allowed them to layer over one another. Once that was done i played with several filter variations but mainly using spatter and crosshatch. One thing I also didn't realize was how the file size was effecting the those specific filters. The larger the file size the less noticeable variations I was able to get out of those filters. So I did work in a smaller size so that it had a greater visual effect, if that makes sense.

Again thanks for all the input everyone!
reworked image.png