What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush that also clears?

Uuugggg

I wonder if this is possible. I would like a brush that both paints and erases. Right now I can make a custom brush from an image, where black draws and white does nothing, but I imagine a custom brush setting where black paints, white clears, transparent does nothing. Or even paints black and paints white. Can anyone think of some way to do that?

So, I am trying to make a mountain brush (basically a brush in the shape of an "A") to draw a mountain range on a map, and it's working well except for that they overlap. It'd be perfect if the each brush stroke would clear out any overlap with the previous ones.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK.........Look at it this way. If you have a brush that Black paints and White clears, then what do you have to do to operate the brush? (Rhetorical) You must alternate between Black and White. Yes you can use the X key for this and it's pretty easy and convenient..........but...........you can also bounce between the Brush Tool and the Eraser Tool...........B for Brush Tool...........E for the Eraser Tool.

You can use the exact same brush on both tools.

However, even though I believe what your asking for will never work...............I will do some research and testing to see what I can come up with.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another way would be to toggle the Brushes blend mode to clear.

Tom Mann

Guru
I realize that it's a big deal to switch to another program, but if you are into brushes, you really should take a look at the huge variety of brushes that are available in Corel Painter:

http://www.corel.com/painterix/product/brushes_guide.html

To answer your specific question, Painter has three major classes of eraser brushes, and a huge number of ways to customize (and store) each of these. Painter allows many more types of customization than are available with PS brushes.

Tom M

SCTRWD

Power User
Use clone stamp tool.

Draw your brush source on its own layer using black color in the areas you want to clear. Select Clone stamp tool, choose some brush that fully covers your source, place it over the source and Alt-click to choose it as a clone source.

Now make new layer, go to its Blending options and make Black transparent, Start adding clone stamps on this layer.