What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text Effect - How To Duplicate

mainstwebguy

Hello all,

I'm trying to duplicate the text effect seen in the sample below. The layout of the text "SURFING" is what I'm focusing on and I'm trying to use the text "mobilePRO" in its place. I've tried a number of different fonts to get the think block style seen in the example, but i'm hitting a wall as to how to get the text to "stretch" correctly.

sample.jpg

I've tried duplicating the bottom of the text and stretching that, but that isn't working.

1.jpg2.jpg
I tried to point the red arrows at problem areas and the green arrows at portions that came out correctly

I guess my main problem is how do i get the very bottom of the letters to line up correctly after manipulating (stretching) the bottom of the text?

Thanks in advance for any insight :)

revnart

Power User
It will be easier with square font like this in my example (links at the bottom)

Create new file with black background, type your text in white:
Image 3.jpg

convert text to shape (right click on the text layer in the layers panel and choose "Converto to shape"

Image 4.jpg

Then grab "Direct Selection Tool" (A) - but remember to choose white arrow :) its hidden below the black one in the tools panel on the left, and select bottom parts of letters

Image 5.jpg

Next just using down arrow drag the points down

Untitled-2.jpg

next steps are additional, only to get the look from your example:

add gradient in blending options:

Image 6.jpg

put that layer inside a group (if you use Photoshop CC) or convert it into smart object.
Create yellow circle

Image 7.jpg

and clip it to smart object or clip it to group:

Image 8.jpg

next grab pen tool and create shape of your island, and also clip it:

Image 9.jpg

then just add your car, and trees ( links in bottom)

and here is your result:

Image 10.jpg

if it will help you I can make short video to show you how to do it :)

here are the links for the font, and silhouettes of car and trees I used:

http://all-silhouettes.com/vector-tropical-islands/
http://all-silhouettes.com/vector-retro-cars/
http://www.dafont.com/transformers-movie.font?fpp=100&text=SURFING

mainstwebguy

Wow!! Thanks so much for such detailed instructions! And links? Geez man, lol not used to getting this sort of help from a forum. Thanks a lot.

I'm going to get to work on it now and will post what i come up with :)

Thanks again!

gedstar

Guru
"not used to getting this sort of help from a forum"

Well you know where to come in future, plenty of experienced and friendly people here always willing to help :thumbsup:

revnart

Power User
Glad we could help :) waiting for your results :) and if you have any questions or problems just write them :)