What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Edit Empty Text Layer?

Uuugggg

Take a text layer. Delete all the text. How do you select it again to add text to it?

gedstar

Guru
What do you mean by delete all the text? in order to delete the text from a text layer you have to rasterize the layer first and then you can just use the type tool to add text

MrToM

Guru
Double click the text layer icon. (The 'T'), in the layers panel...

text_edit_MT_001.png

...then Just start typing.

Normally, this would select all the text on that layer but since there isn't any you'll just see the flashing cursor....ready for you to start typing.

Regards.
MrToM.

Uuugggg

Double click the layer, of course.

It's the simple things like that where I expect there to be a menu item or button somewhere.

MrToM

Guru
...Double click the layer, of course...
Well no, double click the icon. :thumbsup:

That may sound pedantic but double clicking the layer does something else entirely.....as does double clicking the layer name on that layer.

Its these 'minor' details that catch people out.....blame Adobe.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...This bit confused me "Delete all the text" lol...
Yeah I know what ya mean....I had to think twice.

With a blank, but still editable, text layer, I'd normally just delete the whole layer and start again.....there's no difference....but double clicking the text layer icon is the way I always go into text 'edit' mode so it was the first thing that came to mind.

Regards.
MrToM.