What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for changing colors of a item

Eaglepi

I've seen tutorials in my surfing while looking at the different Photoshop methods.

I'd like to find one I found but didn't save, it was how to make a selection of the different areas of something ( in my application my motorcycle ) and then use the sliders to change the colors. I remembered in the tutorial that I once found that the shadows and all parts would adjust as I changed the colors.

People are always wondering how their motorcycle would look with a different color. I thought if I could find the tutorial I am talking about, I could make selections of the motorcycle, the parts that would be painted and make the selection. Then after I did that I could change the color either by sliders or if someone has a exact color I could use that color and show them how their motorcycle would look in the color they want to chose.

If anyone has a link to a video tutorial that would be great as I tend to learn better when I can see how it is being done.

Thanks and have a great day.

MrToM

Guru
Can you post the image so I can see if its suitable for my method?

If so....I'll make a video for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Unfortunately that isn't going to work with my method, sorry.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

Argos

Guru
Well if i undertood right you want to change the color of some selection you made and can choose the color you want doesn't? one way cut be making the selection, then desature and create a new layer of the selection and painting with the color you want, then use the fusion tool to colour.

Cheers! Sorry for my inglish XD

Argos

Guru
Oh sorry i missread, you want a tutorial on "correccion selectiva" (i dont know how is called in english) to change colours with the sliders. I try to look for it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make a selection of the parts you would like to change.
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 2.38.34 PM.png

Then use a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer to change the colors. You can use colorize or not.
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 2.38.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 2.43.16 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes I know what needs to be done, I was asking how to do it...................lol
Yes, I explained...........

IamSam said:
Make a selection of the parts you would like to change.

Then use a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer to change the colors. You can use colorize or not.

Are you needing more details than that?

If so, I used the Pen Tool to make the selections of all the painted areas on the bike. You can use any of the selection tools your comfortable with to make the selections.

Here are a few tutorials on making selections: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Photoshop+making+selections

Next I went to the bottom of the layers panel and clicked on the "create new fill or adjustment layer" icon and chose Hue & Saturation.
Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 1.11.36 AM copy.png

Here are some tutorials on how to use a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Photoshop+Hue+&+Saturation+adjustment+layer

Eaglepi

Thanks for the detailed instructions. One thing I do not know how to do it is to make a selection of the front fender then the back fender and so on. Do you just make a new layer for each part that you create a selection ?

gedstar

Guru
Thanks for the detailed instructions. One thing I do not know how to do it is to make a selection of the front fender then the back fender and so on. Do you just make a new layer for each part that you create a selection ?

Yes, make a selection of each part and copy them to a new layer, once you have your selections made you can group the layers together and clip the H/S adjustment to that group

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I stated, I used the PEN TOOL. I made the selections of all the painted parts all at one time, when I added the Hue & Saturation layer, the selections are added to a layer mask.
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 7.53.53 AM.png

The thing about selections and the subsequent masks created from them is that they can be altered and modified such as adding a feather etc,.

But since I used the Pen Tool set to paths, then this means I also created paths.
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 8.00.17 AM.png

And once I have the paths chosen, I can also add a Vector mask to the Hue & Saturation adjustment layer without making a marquee selection (marching ants).
(Note that the mask is grey instead of black, this indicates it's a vector mask)
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 8.02.38 AM.png

Like @gedstar stated, I can also add the selected parts to their own layer where I would then add the Hue & Saturation layer above it.
I would then CLIP the Hue & Saturation layer to the Painted parts layer. This makes it so only the parts are affected.
(Right click the Hue & Saturation layer and select create clipping mask or hover your cursor between the two layers while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.)
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 8.31.24 AM.png

Last edited:

Eaglepi

As I stated, I used the PEN TOOL. I made the selections of all the painted parts all at one time, when I added the Hue & Saturation layer, the selections are added to a layer mask.
View attachment 64769

The thing about selections and the subsequent masks created from them is that they can be altered and modified such as adding a feather etc,.

But since I used the Pen Tool set to paths, then this means I also created paths.
View attachment 64770

And once I have the paths chosen, I can also add a Vector mask to the Hue & Saturation adjustment layer without making a marquee selection (marching ants).
(Note that the mask is grey instead of black, this indicates it's a vector mask)
View attachment 64771

Like @gedstar stated, I can also add the selected parts to their own layer where I would then add the Hue & Saturation layer above it.
I would then CLIP the Hue & Saturation layer to the Painted parts layer. This makes it so only the parts are affected.
(Right click the Hue & Saturation layer and select create clipping mask or hover your cursor between the two layers while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.)
View attachment 64774

The way you did it is way out of my skill set.. I'll have to figure a different way to get this done.

Thanks for your help

gedstar

Guru
If it's the Pen Tool that outside your skill set, it's a tool that you really should try and learn, it can be a bit frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.
Here's an excellent tutorial on the Pen Tool.
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/selections/pen-tool-selections/

First image is a selection made with the Pen Tool, after you make the selection right click on the path and select make selection.
Image1.jpg

This will bring up this dialog, just click OK and the selection will turn into marching ants, then just hit CTRL J, this will copy the selection to a new layer, you can name the layer if needs be.
Next select the bike layer again and make another selection with the Pen Tool and repeat, do this until you have all the parts selected
image2.jpg

Here I have 5 layers with all the selections, once you have all the selections created on new layers CTRL click each layer except the bike layer and hit CTRL G to group the layers again you can name the group
layers.jpg
Selected layers
select layers.jpg

Next add a hue/saturation adjustment layer above the group and clip it, this will mean the adjustment will only effect the layers in the group
clip layer.jpg

For this I ticked the Colorize option, this is optional! then I moved the hue slider until I got the required color, you can adjust the saturation and lightness sliders to suit your needs

Result after color adjustment
color adjust.jpg

As Sam mentioned there are many tools in Photoshop for making selections, but the Pen Tool is definitely one you should have in your skill set, as I said it takes practice but then again what tool doesn't.

Last edited: