What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defeating Facial Recognition with Photoshop

FRTry

[FONT=&quot]I figure there are a lot of experts here and was wondering what your thoughts are on whether by adjusting someones face in adobe photoshop one could defeat advanced facial recognition software.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Basically, facial recognition software is really facial matching software - where it measures the distances between things like eyes, chin, ears, etc...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I wonder if by using Adobe Photoshop - Face Aware Liquify - one could still retain to the human eye an image that looks very close to the real person but enough changes to confuse facial recognition.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example, if I decrease the space between the eyes, the bridge of the nose, slightly, stretch the face slightly, widen the chin a bit, add a freckle here or there on the cheek.... Changing the depth of the facial structure?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do you think this would be enough to trick a facial recognition software like Facebook or Google have? Or if a human can still recognize then the facial recognition software can too?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this![/FONT]

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here are some thoughts on this. The human factor is what's responsible for the tagging process of Facebook's FRS. FB hosts over 90 billion photos, all of which will be tagged...........eventually. They also allow members to "opt out" of the process (for all the good that does) so I guess the bigger question I would ask is why you think it necessary to try and defeat the process? It's a lost cause...........the damage has already been done.

While the actual question of whether or not you could defeat the FRS with Photoshopped alterations would be dependent on the public's knowledge of the software's capabilities. I don't think they're going to let the average Joe in on that bit of treasured information. I would suppose the best bet to defeat the FRS would be to NOT post photos.

Social media is already reeking havoc on Gen Z (Millennials) and hopefully they will come to realize that they have almost completely given up their right to privacy. Maybe they should Tweet that.

FRTry

I think my thought is that - everyone needs a facebook profile picture but in general should get rid of as many photos as they can. That main photo is then compared to whatever picture someone takes on the street to compare against. If you adjust the profile picture enough then maybe they won't be able to link them up.

In terms of testing the capabilities of software - we sort of have access to Google, Facebook and other FR techniques by using their auto tagging features. Adjust and see if it works against them.

I think you are right that people are giving up their right to privacy without realizing it. But maybe by photoshopping the key picture in the databases - i.e. Facebook, Linkedin... people can fight against the future just a bit longer?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think my thought is that - everyone needs a facebook profile picture
No............they really don't. This is the flaw in your logic. There seems to be some unwritten rule that one is required to post a profile image, I don't think it's necessary. Which would be easier, taking measures to defeat FRS by distorting your image or simply not using a profile image at all? Problem solved.

The true fight against the future (as you put it) will be in defeating the perceived obligation that one must conform and participate in the online social networking movement. Defeating FRS is only treating a symptom and not the cause.

I truly wish you well with your efforts but I think your wasting your time..................but who knows, I could certainly be very wrong and it may work. Good luck.