What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please alter Image

Makaveli68

Hi Guys. 1st time poster.

I was wondering if someone could help me photoshop an image .
I would like to have my grandmother looking down on my grandfather.

Could I request 2 versions of the file. in the second if possible could you remove the younger gentleman.
Could I request the completed PSD file as i would like to add a few after efffects

Pic Located HERE

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Rich54

Guru
This is nowhere near a finished product... it's just a quick 30 seconds of work to confirm whether this is really what you want. I copied your grandmother's head to a new layer and flipped it horizontally so that she's looking the other way. Once I take the time to clean up the seams and transitions it will probably look realistic enough to any casual observer. But her face is now a mirror image of what it's supposed to be, so it may not look right to anybody who really knows her. Is this what you had in mind, or were you thinking something completely different?

Grandmother.jpg

Also, did you want the exposure corrected, or do you prefer to leave it as is? There was a spirited debate in this forum a few days ago about providing "improvements" not specifically asked for. According to Adobe Camera Raw, your photo should look more like this:

Grandmother2.jpg

Last edited:

Makaveli68

ThAnks rich . That's exactly the look I was going for whatever you can do to improve image would be appreciated .

Thanks

Kev

Rich54

Guru
Ok, I think I'm done, but the PSD files are huge (187 MB and 94MB) and I don't think this forum will allow me to attach files so large. Below are JPEG's that I shrunk by 50% just so you can see how it came out. Maybe someone can suggest an alternative for how to get you the actual PSD files.

Scan.jpg

Scan2.jpg

Rich54

Guru
I made a minor change to something I didn't like. I tried compressing the PSD files as zip files, but this website won't let me upload that. Not sure how to get you the images without shrinking them down as JPEG's.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, Rich, I find the "auto" features in ACR or PS to be virtually useless. So, I just couldn't resist having a go at this image myself, and in my usual fashion, made lots of changes besides trying to brighten it up without blowing the highlights.

For example, I minimized the pin cushion distortion (converging verticals) caused by the camera being pointed slightly upwards, attempted to even out the lighting / camera vignetting, removed many of the tiny dust and fiber specs (especially prominent in the dark areas), slightly sharpened the image and attempted to reduce the slight veiling flare from an either uncoated or slightly dirty lens, and I reduced the unsightly green of the mold or peeling paint on the steps.

I also removed the coil of coax cable to encourage viewer's eyes to go on the nice diagonal from Grandma to Grandpa without being constantly attracted over to the coil of coax which is utterly irrelevant to what I think is the point of the image: the bond between the subjects.

Finally, for a change (LOL), I did actually did something that follows one of the classic "rules" of photography. I intentionally cropped Grandpa's legs just above the ankle instead of right at it. The classic "rule" is don't place joints (ie, ankles, knees, wrists, etc.) right at the edge of the frame. I intentionally cut him off above the ankles to encourage the viewer's eye to hit that edge of the frame and bounce right back upwards towards Grandma on the diagonal, essentially trying to lock the viewer's gaze right up and down that diagonal between them without ever straying far from it. IMHO, his socks and ankles detracted from doing this because they provided an irrelevant distraction to the bond between the two subjects.

Of course, all of the above is just my $0.02 on the subject, LOL.

Anyway, see what you think.

Tom M

Attachments

• Grandmother-Rich54c-tjm01-ps04a_8bpc-698px_wide-for_GIF.gif
    Grandmother-Rich54c-tjm01-ps04a_8bpc-698px_wide-for_GIF.gif
    474.7 KB · Views: 52

Argos

Guru
I like the cut and the distort correction, maybe in this case is too much focus and bright for me, it's like showing more the quality flaws on the original photo and loosing some ambience.

Cheers!

Tom Mann

Guru
@Argos - Thanks for the comments. I understand. Darkening it is easy, but with respect to the artifacts becoming visible / over sharpening, don't forget that this is just a 256 color, limited palette GIF, and all sorts of artifacts arise when presenting an image in this file format. When I get a chance, I'll post the full rez, ordinary jpg for my "after" version.

- - - T

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I went a different direction. I felt it was necessary to keep the light source consistent.
I also prefer the perspective, it adds character to the image.

MovingGramps_02.jpg

@Makaveli68 If you like this version, I can provide you a MediaFire link to the larger size.

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
Nice job Iamsam, like the color and light, maybe is too much cut for me but i like it.

Cheers!

Edit: seems the jacket is not finish well no?

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
Maybe it's only me but if the circles are botons the cut dont seems right.

MovingGramps_023.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I now see what your talking about. I had meant to fix that but got in hurry as I had an appointment to keep. I'll fix that.

Makaveli68

Hi Tom Mann . This is also a great job. WOuld you mind providing psd and high quality image of the cropped trouser image.

I would like to go back to family with a few different versions.

Also thanks to everyone who has made an attempt at this. Its really appreciated,

Rich54

Guru
For example, I minimized the pin cushion distortion (converging verticals) caused by the camera being pointed slightly upwards, attempted to even out the lighting / camera vignetting, removed many of the tiny dust and fiber specs (especially prominent in the dark areas), slightly sharpened the image and attempted to reduce the slight veiling flare from an either uncoated or slightly dirty lens, and I reduced the unsightly green of the mold or peeling paint on the steps.

Tom M

Tom, I had a busy week so I'm just now getting to your message of a few days ago. I've never spent much time investigating all the different kinds of lens distortions that you mention here and in many previous posts. I haven't trained my eye to look for that and often don't even see it until somebody points it out to me. It's definitely an area I need to get more educated about.

I do like the cropping that you did, but for this particular image I think I prefer the 'pin cushion' and other distortions of the original photo. That old building has a lot of character and I like that it has no level or parallel lines, mold on the steps, etc. Although I'm not as old as the people in the photo, I'm rapidly getting there and I, too, am becoming asymmetrical and have acquired my fair share of mold, so maybe I identify with the building as a kindred spirit.

Thanks for the pointers.
Rich

Tom Mann

Guru
Rich54 - I understand completely. After "real" problems in a photograph have been taken care of (or, at least discussed / noted - eg, the unwanted man in this shot, moving grandpa vs turning grandma's head, etc.), then it really comes down to personal preference for issues like cropping, perspective adjustment, removing unwanted vignetting and other lighting adjustments, etc.

I tend to prefer very rectilinear looking compositions with full corrections for lens and perspective distortions, tilts, etc., but other times, I'll also come down on the side of letting such things stand. More often than not, I won't do these corrections because of either actual motion in the original, or I will want to emphasize or imply motion by the diagonals in an uncorrected image. Maybe my bias towards static scenes comes from my days with view cameras doing product photography, LOL.

Sometimes, I will prefer a static composition because of guessing about the psychological aspects of the situation that may or may not be true, e.g., this elderly couple may have had a stable relationship with each other for decades and their family recognizes their stability, so, maybe I should try to emphasize it. Of course, I could be completely out in left field, and for all I know they were at each other throats for their entire marriage, LOL.

Sometimes, to be honest, I can't even articulate why I prefer one look over the other, but I at least try to think about it and make the choices consciously (like you just did - :) ). Everyone is different in this (and many other aspects of photography).

Anyway, in this case, I thought I would show the OP a bunch of options that other folks weren't offering, and maybe even start up a little conversation (like we are having) about personal preferences. I especially liked your comment about becoming asymmetrical, LOL. Me too.

Tom M

PS - I just saw an error in my typing. In my previous post, I said, "...pin cushion distortion (converging verticals)...". It should have said, "...pin cushion distortion and converging verticals cause by the camera being pointed slightly upward...".

PPS - I also just saw the OP's request for a higher rez copy of the "after" frame in my animated GIF. I am attaching that below. Unfortunately, I didn't save the PSD file.

Attachments

• Grandparents-tjm01-ps02a-01_3400px_wide.jpg
    Grandparents-tjm01-ps02a-01_3400px_wide.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 5