What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help replicating a style

moinmonica

Hi there,

I got this image and I have to replicate it with other portraits, I tried with halftones, separating channels, inverting layers...but i couldn't find out how to do it, anyone here can help me, please? I'm a bit desperate!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Darwin.png
    Darwin.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

fredfish

Guru
10 minute play - is this the sort of thing? Can you post an image that you want to apply the effect to?

15 min.jpg

*EDIT
This was the original I used (found on google images).
org.jpg

Attachments

• 15 min.jpg
    15 min.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

moinmonica

Thanks for the fast answer, but this is not exactly the same, the image I attached has "white dots" and yours has color dots...but if I don't find the solution I could try with that one. I have to make a lot of images and from different styles, even painting portraits so that would fit. How did you do it?

fredfish

Guru
Actually the reason I posted what I did is because the image that you posted HAS Colour dots - or at least on my monitor it displays with colour dots.

My work flow was:-
Reduce the image size (this works better for halftone filter)
Duplicate the layer
Convert layers to smart objects (so it makes it easier to change the settings to your liking)
Apply the filter pixalate / color halftone (play around with the dot size) to the lower of the 2 layers
Convert the top layer to black & White (using the image / adjustments / Black & White option - not just de-saturating the layer) use the sliders to get a B&W image with good contrast.
Apply the color halftone filter using the same settings as before

You now have the B&W halftone image on top and the colour one beneath it - now just play with the opacity of the B&W image until you get the balance of B&W / colour half toning.

If you want the B&W only you could select the B&W image (which should be the one on top) and duplicate the layer a couple of times (CTRL (or CMD on a Mac) + J is the short cut) - This will intensify the effect.

If you have a load to do you could set up an action to achieve what you want and then run it through a batch. You may need to tweak some of the images.

Cheers

John

*EDIT
I missed a step - I used a mask on the original image before resizing and then a very large very soft brush around the edges to apply a kind of vignette.

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
It is typical when you dont make notes :) I made a couple of mistakes with my workflow above -

Revised flow:-

Create Vignette using a mask
Duplicate the layer
Convert each one to a smart object
Make the top layer invisible
On the bottom layer apply the filter Pixilate / Color halftone (For the image I posted I used a dot size of 8 - which is the default)
Make the top layer viable
Convert it to a B&W layer using Image / adjustments / Black & White - this is better than de-saturating the image, in my image I boosted the red and yellow channels to give me a better contrast on the B&W.
Apply the color halftone filter again
Now play with the opacity of the top layer to get desired blend

I also had a go at creating one without any colour - as you know this is a bit problematical because if you just de-saturate the half toned image you get some odd patterns. To get round this use the image / adjustments / Black & White option again and play with the sliders.

This is what I came up with this time.

org2.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It is typical when you dont make notes :) I made a couple of mistakes with my workflow above -

Revised flow:-

Create Vignette using a mask
Duplicate the layer
Convert each one to a smart object
Make the top layer invisible
On the bottom layer apply the filter Pixilate / Color halftone (For the image I posted I used a dot size of 8 - which is the default)
Make the top layer viable
Convert it to a B&W layer using Image / adjustments / Black & White - this is better than de-saturating the image, in my image I boosted the red and yellow channels to give me a better contrast on the B&W.
Apply the color halftone filter again
Now play with the opacity of the top layer to get desired blend

Once you have converted the layer into a smart object, you can no longer apply the B&W adjustment. Did you open the smart object (PSB) to do this?

gedstar

Guru
Once you have converted the layer into a smart object, you can no longer apply the B&W adjustment. Did you open the smart object (PSB) to do this?

Hey Sam, maybe I'm missing something, image below is converted to a smart object with B&W adjustment layer

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru

Hi Sam - I don't wish to contradict you ..... but I am going to have to. You can add a B&W adjustment layer as a smart filter (IE convert layer to smart object and then add a B&W adjustment). Here is a video of me doing just that.

https://youtu.be/-Zow6j7ehgY

Cheers

John

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Sam - I don't wish to contradict you ..... but I am going to have to. You can add a B&W adjustment layer as a smart filter (IE convert layer to smart object and then add a B&W adjustment). Here is a video of me doing just that.

https://youtu.be/-Zow6j7ehgY

Cheers

John

No worries, you can always contradict me. Now let me show you something.

Here's your instructions:

1. Create Vignette using a mask.
2. Duplicate the layer
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.10.08 AM.png
DONE!

3. Convert each one to a smart object
4. Make the top layer invisible
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.15.20 AM.png
DONE!

5. On the bottom layer apply the filter Pixilate / Color halftone (For the image I posted I used a dot size of 8 - which is the default)
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.11.04 AM.png
DONE!

6. Make the top layer viable
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.17.53 AM.png
DONE!

6. Convert it to a B&W layer using Image / adjustments / Black & White - this is better than de-saturating the image, in my image I boosted the red and yellow channels to give me a better contrast on the B&W.
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.11.35 AM.png
CAN NOT DO THIS!

I may be a little slow at times, but I'm fairly sure this is NOT WORKING for CS6!

I'm glad this worked for the OP, but for anyone searching this subject in the future, this technique will not work using CS6.

fredfish

Guru
I didn't do it in CS6, I am running CC2015.5 - It is entirely possible that the ability to use the B&W adjustments on a smart object has been introduced post CS6. But then again the OP didn't specify CS6.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't do it in CS6, I am running CC2015.5 - It is entirely possible that the ability to use the B&W adjustments on a smart object has been introduced post CS6.
That would be my assumption.

But then again the OP didn't specify CS6.
Then again, the OP did not specify anything.

First post.
OP said:
Hi there,

I got this image and I have to replicate it with other portraits, I tried with halftones, separating channels, inverting layers...but i couldn't find out how to do it, anyone here can help me, please? I'm a bit desperate!

Thanks in advance!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bottom line is that the OP received help and for me that's all that matters.

fredfish

Guru
So what should I assume as the base level of PS usage (as in version number) when responding to questions? Are there forum rules on that? If so I appologise, but I just used what I have.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Use what you have!

We have always known that with new versions of Ps, there are always some minor changes that happen along the way. You had no idea that your instruction would not work in CS6 and neither did I until I tried it. There's no harm or foul here. You did great!

edit: We both managed to identify a problem that could be useful for future readers of this thread. All is good!

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
The use of 'Adjustments' on Smart Objects from the 'IMAGE' menu is available from CC 2015 onwards.

So...
@IamSam is correct, it's NOT possible in CS6...and...
@fredfish is correct that it IS possible in CC 2015.5....(Maybe next time you could declare the version you are using?...there is no mention of it in either of your workflow posts.):thumbsup:

Just to clear things up.

Now kiss and make up or you'll get no supper before beddy bye byes!

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT....you've both added further posts as I wrote mine so sorry if I repeat anything you've already said.

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
All good here - as a fairly new contributor (apart from something a couple of years ago - since then been away!) I genuinely wasn't sure if there was a convention that should be used.

Perhaps it would be useful to have a section in the left hand panel that indicates what version of PS people have and use (I realise that would depend on people remembering to update!).

Cheers

John

MrToM

Guru
...Perhaps it would be useful to have a section in the left hand panel that indicates what version of PS people have and use...
I've mentioned it before but it was poo-pooed almost instantly.

Another thing you can do, which I should really do myself, is to put it in your 'signature'....that way if anyone complains about it, like me, you can point it out and shoot them down in flames....HA HA!

Just kidding, but something in your 'sig' is probably the next best thing to an entry in the user profile.

Time to change my sig I think....practice what I preach! :biglaff:

Anyway, ya dun gud so no worries....nice tutorial. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

fredfish

Guru
Just added a sig - no time like the present to test it ! :thumbsup: