What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editable Text as a Layer Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

razorpig

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate you taking the time. It's great to see so many detailed and informative solutions. I went with the pattern solution in the end, but any of them would achieve the result I was after, so a HUGE thanks once again to all of you. Whilst I'm very happy with result, the strokes are still exhibiting transparency behaviour where they overlap - I've circled a few examples in the attachment. Ideally I'd like to deal with these too......any suggestions? I tried the shallow knockout option on the LIQUID text layer with the stroke set to 'inside' but it didn't work.

PS: I'm using CS6 and the text colour is white ;-)

Attachments

• Liquid-Soul-06.jpg
    Liquid-Soul-06.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where did you position your stroke?

In the video, John places the stroke on the inside.
Also, what did you set your strokes opacity to?

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 8.49.46 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nevermind...........just finished reading your post!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you using the layer OPACITY or the FILL to lower the text layers visibility? You should be using fill. The fill will not affect the stroke whereas the opacity will.

razorpig

Hi IAmSam, here's a simplified version of the PSD file. I set the stroke opacity to 80%. Both the Fill and Opacity of the layer are set to 100%. I'd like the stroke to remain at 80% opacity but I don't want it to overlap with the stroke of the text below. Not sure why a shallow knockout on the LIQUID layer isn't working??

I also tried SCTRWD's technique using just knockout groups (Great solution!) but I'm having the same problem. The KNOCKOUT feature doesn't seem to work on strokes, even when they are set to "Inside"..??

Attachments

• Liquid Soul - FORUM2.psd
    5.6 MB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem was that you had lowered the stroke opacity to 80%. In doing this, you create the transparency.

What I did was to not touch anything at first, then sample the color of the existing stroke using the color sampler.

I then changed the color of the stroke and moved the opacity back to 100%.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 9.52.35 AM.png

Problem solved
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 9.52.47 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
razorpig

I think you should clarify exactly what it is you need to do, the objective has changed considerably from your original post.

ORIGINAL:
...The Fill of both text layers is set to 40%...

NOW:
...Both the Fill and Opacity of the layer are set to 100%...

ORIGINAL:
...Whilst I'm very happy with result, the strokes are still exhibiting transparency behaviour where they overlap... )
Not if you had used SCTRWD solution.

NOW:
...I set the stroke opacity to 80%...
...I'd like the stroke to remain at 80% opacity...

The solutions provided work for the question you originally asked and conform to the example image you provided...AND the text remained editable.

What you are asking now bears little resemblance to your original post.

Regards.
MrToM.

razorpig

IamSam, Big thanks again for your reply. It's a very neat solution but I think I've worked out another way which preserves the transparency (see below).
MrToM Sorry for the confusion. The layer opacities in my original post referred to the effect I was trying to achieve. Those given later were the result of applying the various solutions given here ie. the desired 40% opacity was subsequently applied via the pattern overlay or clipping group, so the opacity of the original layer could be returned to 100%.

However, I hold my hands up! :) you're right that in my original image the stroke opacity was set to 100%. I had assumed (incorrectly) that the solution would also mask/knockout the stroke from the SOUL layer so I'd be free to alter the opacity of the stroke on the LIQUID layer.

Anyway - I think I've sorted it out. It appears that in CS6 clipping groups and knockout groups ignore the stroke width, even when the stroke is set to 'inside'. To get the desired result I removed all styles from the LIQUID text layer and converted it to a smart object. I duplicated this smart object before reapplying the layer styles to the original. I set the fill of the duplicated smart object (with no stroke) to 0% and used it to knockout the SOUL layer below. Text colour of the LIQUID layer was set to white, fill to 40% and stroke opacity to 80%. As per SCTRWD's later solution, no need for pattern or clipping groups in the end. Thanks SCTRWD ;-)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 2

razorpig

MrToM I also tried SCTRWD's original solution as you suggested but it didn't overcome the overlapping strokes issue (see attachment). Maybe this is peculiar to CS6 - I'd be interested to know if it's the same in later versions.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The overlapping will occur when you lower the opacity of the stroke. Period. No matter which technique you use or Ps version.

MrToM

Guru
The solutions given were in answer to your original post where there was NO visual evidence of any opacity in the stroke...

original_image_MT_01.png

As I said earlier, you need to make it clear exactly what it is you want as the problems you keep referring to are not applicable to the example image you posted.

The solutions given produce the result you asked for.

To me you've now moved the goalposts which means a totally different solution, if there is one, and therefore those that have already offered a solution to your original question are unlikely to spend any more time on finding another.

If you've changed your mind, well, that's fine, but you cannot expect the solutions given to the original question to still work for a completely different scenario.

As far as I know there is no solution to your question and keep the text editable.

The effect can be done yes, but the text, and stroke, would have to be rasterized.

CC 2015.5 does have an extra option as regards stroke which may solve it, I don't know, you'll have to hope someone with that version can try for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

razorpig

IamSam Thanks for the feedback. I guess in most scenarios it makes perfect sense for clipping groups to behave in this way - we normally only want to clip to the fill area, not the stroke. I'm tempted to argue that the situation isn't quite so intuitive when applied to the knockout blending option, but nevermind - a workaround has been found :) Thanks again for all your suggestions.
MrToM Sorry if you thought I wandered too far off topic. I didn't feel the stroke opacity issue was so far removed from the original request to warrant a new thread. That being said - I'll try and be more attentive to staying on topic in future ;-)

For the benefit of any and all, and as per my previous post, there is a solution :

1. Remove all styles from the LIQUID text layer, ensure text colour is white and convert it to a Smart object.
2. Duplicate this Smart Object.
3. Re-apply (paste) layer styles to the original smart object and set the Fill to 40%
4. Use the duplicate layer with Fill 0% and NO STROKE to create a knockout group with the SOUL text layer below.
5. Link the two smart object layers.

This leaves all the text editable, enables movement of the text, and allows complete freedom to change the opacity of the fill and stroke without introducing any overlap issues. The background layer will show through the stroke, but the underlying text won't.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Attachments

• Capture - SOLVED.JPG
    Capture - SOLVED.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
razorpig said:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess in most scenarios it makes perfect sense for clipping groups to behave in this way - we normally only want to clip to the fill area, not the stroke. I'm tempted to argue that the situation isn't quite so intuitive when applied to the knockout blending option
I'm sorry but you would have no argument. I would like to point out that my previous statement stands. Until you added the second 'Liquid' layer with the knockout and 0% fill, the first layer with the 80% opacity on the stroke was transparent. The problem still existed, it's all in how it was repaired.............which was the point to begin with. I won't argue with great results. You've found a good technique and a workaround.

Thanks everyone!

razorpig said:
Thanks for the feedback. :) Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Your very welcome, I only wish I could have been more helpful.

I'm closing this thread. razorpig - Contact me if you would like it reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.