What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling with Background effect

TaylorCroft

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right area. New to photoshop, creating my company's new website, and would like to recreate the effect of the attached photo- with the grey over the bright colors. Anyone have any ideas as to how to achieve that? Appreciate any/everyone's help. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.30.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.30.40 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Taylor and welcome to PSG.

I have moved your thread here to the General Photoshop board.

This effect looks to be a simple Color Fill layer/overlay.

Take your image.....
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.07.56 PM.png

Then click on the half-moon icon located at the bottom of the layers panel and choose "Solid Color".
The Color Picker will open , set the color to a greyish color or the color of choice.
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.08.12 PM.png

Now set the Color fill layer to the blend mode of "Multiply"
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.08.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.13.13 PM.png

You can adjust the opacity if needed.

MrToM

Guru
This can be done easily with just opacity.

I couldn't find a large version of the original but it doesn't really matter, the example should be good enough for you to get the idea.

1. Create a new layer ABOVE your image and FILL with BLACK.
2. Set its OPACITY to 55%.
3. Create your text on top of that.

I got this...

BITE_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM Why is the opacity layer clipped to the food image? Or was that just for the demo because you posted them side by side and you didn't want the black layer to affect the original?

MrToM

Guru
...Why is the opacity layer clipped to the food image? Or was that just for the demo because you posted them side by side and you didn't want the black layer to affect the original?...
To keep you happy!

I know how you like clipping masks so I thought I'd throw one in for good measure...

...that and the fact I didn't want the black layer to affect the original....yes.

No other reason.

Regards.
MrToM.