What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this Dull Color Overlay Effect?

itsmohak

Hey

I Stumbled across this dull color overlay effect that can be seen in the Background of the attached image. I can more or less do the rest of the stuff, I just need to know how to do the Dull Background (Green or any color) overlay effect in Photoshop?

Image >> Adjustments >> Variations helped a little but still something seemed to be missing!

Thanx

maxresdefault.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

It looks like a color overlay, which is just a new layer above the BG layer, set to a particular color.
They overlay layers blend mode is then changed and the opacity is probably lowered.

Here's an example.

Trees...
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 7.53.53 AM.png

New layer on top of tree layer with color.
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 7.54.20 AM.png

Color overlay layer with blend mode set to lighter Color and opacity set to 48%
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 7.54.35 AM.png

Layers panel
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 7.55.05 AM.png

Here's a recent thread where this was discussed: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/general-photoshop-board/58043-struggling-background-effect.html

I used a Color fill layer there.

itsmohak

Thanks IanSam

I especially liked the fact that you took time to post the samples too. The method worked perfectly fine.