What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know how to create this kind of distortion?

dangerboy

I was doodling away yesterday creating video glitch effects and somehow made this as a mask layer.

Untitled-1.jpg

Now I have no idea how i did it. I know if was an effect that i had to do a few times in a row, but I have no idea how to make it again. any help would be awesome!!!

This is the end product that I would like to be able to recreate on other images...

wingtingRepair.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Not sure about the first image. Can you post your PSD file on that one?

As for the second, it just looks like a Stereoscopic effect.

Tom Mann

Guru
If you are googling "stereoscopic" effect, FYI, it also is sometimes called "an anaglyph". There have been a couple of threads on this right here on PSG in the past couple of years.

Cheers,

Tom M

Last edited:

dangerboy

Thanks for replying. No, I know how to do a stereoscopic effect. The second image is how I applied the first one as a mask, not to create the colour distortion, but to create the vertical and horizontal displacement. I created the top image through a series of effects applied to an image, but I can't remember how I did it, and I can't seem to recreate it. Maybe a better question is, using only Filters, how would you get from here to here:

pre-effect.jpg to this post-effect.jpg

Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok............any ideas? Do you remember any steps you took when you made the effect?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great! That makes sense. What made you try the tiles filter?

dangerboy

honestly, i was just going through filter by filter. the reason the Tiles filter didn't feel familiar was because i used the effect about 10 times in a row on the image to make that linear distortion. if you only do it once, i just looks like tiles. lol.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very cool. I like the effect. If you figure it out, please post the steps.

I've just been playing with the tiles filter on the image you posted, and I'm not sure how you got it from point A to point B. I'll keep trying.

dangerboy

i just took the image and applied the Tiles filter to it at 10 tiles and 10% displacement with white as the background colour. repeat the filter about 10 times.

dangerboy

here's another example. I used the repeated tiles filter on a black foreground to create this:

seadogs2.jpg

i then took this image:

seadogs1.jpg

duplicated it, moved the top layer over a bit, and applied the Tiled pattern as a mask to get this:

seadogs3.jpg

very cool geometric "static"