What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make a transparent image with just the guy?

Rich54

Guru
First you need to make a careful selection of just the guy, copy him (him alone) to a new blank layer, and then delete the original layer. Save it as a PNG file, which gives a transparent background.

There are many ways to make a selection of just the guy. For this particular image, the Quick Selection tool does a somewhat ok job, but you'll need some manual cleanup. A better choice would be the Quick Mask tool or the Pen tool, but those take a bit more time and patience.

TyDoesGamez

First you need to make a careful selection of just the guy, copy him (him alone) to a new blank layer, and then delete the original layer. Save it as a PNG file, which gives a transparent background.

There are many ways to make a selection of just the guy. For this particular image, the Quick Selection tool does a somewhat ok job, but you'll need some manual cleanup. A better choice would be the Quick Mask tool or the Pen tool, but those take a bit more time and patience.
Nakamura edited.pngLike this??

Rich54

Guru
Yes, that's the idea. But I think you will also want to delete the black areas under his arms. Also, the left side of his arm (our left) is a bit jagged. You might want to try to clean that up a bit.
I'm not sure which selection method you used, but my guess is Quick Selection. If you're interested, try the Quick Mask tool, using a brush setting at about 50% hardness. It's fairly intuitive and I think you''ll get a better result.

TyDoesGamez

Yes, that's the idea. But I think you will also want to delete the black areas under his arms. Also, the left side of his arm (our left) is a bit jagged. You might want to try to clean that up a bit.
I'm not sure which selection method you used, but my guess is Quick Selection. If you're interested, try the Quick Mask tool, using a brush setting at about 50% hardness. It's fairly intuitive and I think you''ll get a better result.
I used pen tool then with a brush on 50 % Hardness got rid of some blacks stuff. I can't find the Quick Mask tool, would you mind telling me where it is.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another option.

I often make difficult selections by using a layer mask and the Brush Tool. I like this method as it's highly adjustable and editable. This technique is very similar to using the Quick Mask mode.

One thing I forgot to show was that I set my Brushes color to black.

Here's a video showing how I would do it. I didn't speed it up so it's kinda long.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Of course you just turn off the white layer and the BG will be transparent.
Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 11.22.48 AM.png

TyDoesGamez

Like this?? Nakamura edited.png

Rich54

Guru
Ty,
All of your edges seem to have a lot of pits and bumps. When you use the brush tool, do you accidentally have the brush set to Dissolve mode, rather than Normal mode?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I stated the layer mask technique and the Quick mask technique are identical in that both can use (not limited to) the Brush tool to create the selection. It's just another way to approach it.