What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS6 advise re Latte Layer/Template

Huk

Hi All,

I have an issue with a recently created layer/template, before I explain the issue, it's best I explain the reason for creating this template.

I use Photoshop to create all my images/texts used for Sublimation, ie I create mug art work, images and text to be pressed to mugs, this all works perfectly when designing work for normal shaped mugs, however I recently started to dabble with latte mugs and wanted to press text to the latte mugs.

I have managed to figure out how to create a blank latte mug template with a border, the border enables me to know where to cut the paper in the shape of a latte mug, but when I enter text to the latte template the text becomes blurred.

See below steps and screenshots I follow.

Screenshot of the template - Blank Latte Template
Blank Latte Template.PNG

Once the template is open, I then double click the layer icon
Screenshot of the layer I double click - Layer Icon
Layer Icon.PNG
This then opens another blank layer
Screenshot of new blank layer with border - Layer created after double click
Layer created after double click.PNG

I enter text to the new layer,
Screenshot of new layer with Text - Before saving
Before saving.PNG

Once I select Save, the text is then added to the Latte Template, however the text becomes blurred.
Screenshot of text - Blurred text
Blurred text.PNG

Once printed, I press this text to a latte mug and like the screenshot, the text is also blurred on the mug.

I would greatly appreciate it, if anyone could guide me in the right direction. If you require further info, please ask and I will explain further where possible.

Apologies if I am using the wrong terms, still learning Photoshop.

Thanks in advance.

Huk.

MrToM

Guru
As we are dealing with 'Smart Objects' here it would really help to have either the template PSD file, so we can see how this is constructed, or if that's not something you want to do then at least full UI screenshots of how the smart object is constructed, ie the PSB file.

The images you have posted are OK but only show us the result, not how the thing is put together.

Its difficult to say what it could be without knowing the procedure used.

Regards.
MrToM.

Huk

Hi,

Thanks for your response, and of course I should have attached the template also, please see attached.

If you need me to explain how I created this template, please let me know.

Cheers.

Huk

Attachments

• Latte Blank Template with Border.psd
    227.9 KB · Views: 11

MrToM

Guru
No worries...thanks for that I'll take a look....I think I know what the problem is but being able to try things out on the actual template is a BIG help! :thumbsup:

Be right back.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Firstly...why work on such a small document? You really are making life harder than it should be:

WORK big, PRINT to whatever size you need.

Back to the plot...
It looks like you have created a smart object with a rectangular BG and then warped it to the curve you need.

This is the problem....anything else you put in that Smart Object also gets warped, that's what Smart Objects are all about.

Warping TEXT in a smart object will not be as good as transforming the text in the PSB file and not warping the main file at all.

It would be better to have ALL your graphical elements, images and text, as separate smart objects that are individually 'curved' to the background.

This way, any text can be transformed without distortion but being a smart object can be edited at any time.

Its just a case of re-organising what is and what isn't a smart object....and not warping text.

Regards.
MrToM.

Huk

Cheers,

thanks for your help with this and advice. I created the latte shape template by following a guide on youtube, in fact I documented how to create this for future reference - guide below.

How should I create the separate warped test (which I can use again and again) so that all text is warped to print the mug correctly, otherwise when I print and press to a latte mug the text won't be straight on the mug due to the shape of the mug - if that makes sense.

Cheers

Create a new layer
Height = 10cm
Width bottom of mug = 18cm (-2 for handle)
Transparent Background
Using the Bucket tool, fill the layer with the colour White
Ensure the Layer is unlocked
select the rectangle Tool on the left
Place a black border on the inside (you can change the line shape to solid or broken)
Right click the Rectangle Layer on the right
Rasterize Layer
Edit
Stroke
change the colour to Black, select OK
Select Image
Select Canvas Size
Change to W30 and H14
Right Click the Layer (on the right)
select Convert to Smart Object
Select Edit
Select Free Transform (or press CTRL T)
Select Edit
Select Transform
Select Warp
Next to option Warp: change from Custom to Arc
Next to option Bend: change to 26
Select the Tick (to accept changes)

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
As always there will be a number of ways to achieve this - One way would be to create your arc as a path (using the pen tool / shape tool etc) and then placing the text on the path. Change this into a smart object and then you can edit the text.

Look up tutorials on text on a path to see what I mean, for example this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKmrKOHyao (first I came across).

As MrToM said try to keep the different objects as different smart objects to keep more control.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Its just a case of getting the right layers to be Smart Objects.

The attached PSD shows you what I mean, and if its not exactly right you should be able to adjust it to what you need.

Essentially you need to have the background as a 'static' layer, almost like a PS 'Background' layer, in fact you could convert once you've created it.

The text then goes in a Smart Object but instead of warping the Smart Object you transform the text within it...ie the PSB file.

To be honest there is no real reason in this instance to even use Smart Objects....you could just use normal text but along a path, the text stays editable regardless of changing the path.

Either way its pretty simple to do.

There are lots of tutorials online about text along a path.

View attachment Latte Blank Template with Border_MT_02.psd

Regards.
MrToM.

Huk

Thanks both,

I used my blank latte template with your advice and simply used the Arc tool to create text, rather than the other method I used. Due to now creating free text on my original template, the text is now clear and no longer blurred.

I think I may have originally over-complicated matters.

Much appreciated for both your advice.

Cheers,

Huk.