What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "apply image" feature

DaveD

Can somebody give the reason for this feature? I have watched videos and read articles and all it appears to be is a blending mode.
If I select "layer 1" in apply image on a 2 layer photo, what is supposed to happen to each layer?

DaveD

So it's just a blend mode
They already have a blending mode section and this does the same thing

hawkeye

Guru
So it's just a blend mode
They already have a blending mode section and this does the same thing

Read the entire article, it is also be used for masking plus blending of specific channels and blending images of differing color modes.

Tom Mann

Guru
To elaborate on what Hawkeye said, here are some ways it's different from simply using layer blending modes:

1. It provides two other blending modes, "add", and "subtract"

2. It allows one to blend images from different files, not just different layers.

3. It allows one to directly blend images that are in different color modes, eg, an RGB image with a grayscale image.

4. It provides a *very* convenient / quick way to specify the source and destination channels, even composite channels. Using the "calculations" and other commands one often has to do some extra intermediate steps (eg, copy the contents of a channel to its own layer or to a new user defined channel, etc.).

5. It's the tool of choice for frequency separation skin smoothing.

Cheers,

Tom M

DaveD

I don't care how much people try to explain this feature I will never understand its purpose.
It's a lost cause.

Tom Mann

Guru
It's a bit of an acquired taste, but I bet that if you try using it a few times, all of a sudden, a light will go on and you'll have one of those "Ah-haaa!" moments.

All the best,

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Tom. I was like you Dave, when I first became aware of the feature in a Corey Barker tutorial, I thought it was nuts! I did not understand it no matter what how I reasoned with it. Now I use the feature all the time especially for alpha channel selections. I like the ability to blend two different alpha channels to achieve the best contrast between white and black.............there's no other faster or convenient way to accomplish that.. Like Tom said, it's an acquired taste.

DaveD

I agree with Tom. I was like you Dave, when I first became aware of the feature in a Corey Barker tutorial, I thought it was nuts! I did not understand it no matter what how I reasoned with it. Now I use the feature all the time especially for alpha channel selections. I like the ability to blend two different alpha channels to achieve the best contrast between white and black.............there's no other faster or convenient way to accomplish that.. Like Tom said, it's an acquired taste.

Let's say I have a background photo and add another photo layer (Background and layer 1)
I select apply image, choose layer 1, red, and "multiply" mode. Now what is supposed to happen? And why do I need to apply image when I can just pick multiply in standard "blend mode"

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dave, there's no question that Ps allows the user to accomplish effects in many different ways and Apply Image is no exception. If you don't understand the feature, then simply don't use it. Use what you know and what works best for you.

As I've stated above, I only use the Apply Image feature when I'm working with channel information in creating masks, otherwise I just use conventional means.