What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Effect Help

boomercates

monkimage.jpg

What is the best way to pull off this effect that is on Texas where it almost looks disengrating...Im not sure of how to say this effect?
Also how do i pull off the effect on the red background with the blocks?

any kind of help would be great...

thanks,
Boomer

Tom Mann

Guru
Here's a quick an dirty example of how a "main shape" (ie, the map in your example, a simple gradient in my example) interacts with an underlying grid (in both examples) when processed through an appropriately adjusted half-tone conversion. Note that some of the small shapes are rectangular, while others are square, just like in your example.

Grid_and_gradient-ps01a-01.jpg

If you are still around and interested in this, let me know. I have to go out on a shoot now, but I should be back and will be happy to discuss this late tonight (USA - East Coast).

Cheers,

Tom M

That's pretty awesome. I probably would have done a complicated half-tone tutorial and it still wouldn't get the results you show.

Nice, Tom.

Agent

krakenspraken

The image above is really great.
What is that image called or what type of editing technique was used? (I do not know if this is the right question to ask, sorry)

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner -- I wound up being away from the house for most of the weekend. Stay tuned.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
I started with this high resolution (3500+ pixels wide) B&W outline of Louisiana:

lousiana_state-outline_map-ps03a-halftone_cyan-698px_wide-01_original_outline.jpg

I blurred it:

lousiana_state-outline_map-ps03a-halftone_cyan-698px_wide-02_outline_blurred.jpg

Next, I applied the several year old VanDerLee "Halftone" filter. For illustrative purposes, I let a trace of small black dots show in the interior of the state, and just a few small white dots show outside the state boundaries. Move two sliders and these will disappear.

lousiana_state-outline_map-ps03a-halftone_cyan-698px_wide-03_VanDerLee_halftone.jpg

I put a blue-cyan color fill layer above the B&W halftone and changed the blending mode to "lighten"

lousiana_state-outline_map-ps03a-halftone_cyan-698px_wide-04_cyan_color_layer_lighten_blending_m.jpg

The full rez version is attached below.

I used VanDerLee's plugin because it was the quickest way for me to illustrate the overall plan of attack. In addition, it allowed me to easily adjust parameters such as the maximum and minimum dot sizes, the LPI setting, the dot shape and angles, as well as quickly introduce random elements into the half-toning effect, some of which (eg, angular randomness) you may not want for a more rectilinear effect such as seen in the Texas example you posted.

All of these adjustments could, in principle, be done using PS's native tools, but I'm a great believer in saving time, LOL, and for twenty some $$$, this plugin has more than paid for itself in my work. Be advised, however, that this plugin is old, is still sold, but is no longer being developed, and only runs under the older 32 bit versions of PS, not the newer 64 bit versions. I happened to use PS CC v14 (32 bit) from several years ago. If you are interested, you may not know that although only the 64 bit versions of PS are automatically downloaded when you subscribe to Adobe's CC, I believe you can also still download a 32 bit version of the newest PS CC releases for situations like this (ie, compatibility with old plugins).

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• lousiana_state-outline_map-ps02a-halftone_cyan-02_3499px_wide.jpg
    lousiana_state-outline_map-ps02a-halftone_cyan-02_3499px_wide.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited: