What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Select and Mask in PSCC20115.5.1

gedstar

Guru
Just wondering how you people are finding the New Select and Mask feature in PS which was introduced in PSCC2015.5

I've been trying it out and find it pretty hard to make good selections in comparison to the Refine Edge option in CC2015.1.2 and older versions
Seems to be very buggy and a lot of people aren't happy, a lot of people like me are reverting to an older version of PS for making selections with Refine Edge

More info in these threads
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2170583
https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=select and mask

So how's it working for you?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After watching the videos, it looks like it doesn't work any better than refine edge which I almost never use. So I wouldn't use either feature. I find other masking techniques work much better.

I do like refine mask though.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
It is not an improvement, it's just working differently.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to be a bit lazy so when working with CS6 I tried Topaz remask and Vertus FluidMask before spending (again) a lot of money.
Those programs also need thoroughly and extended work to get something acceptable.

So I'm still waiting for a real magic wand...

pkk

Hello All,

I'm frustrated with Select & Mask too. What's the best tutorial for getting through this? And what techniques are you using, IamSam? I mask out a lot of backgrounds & have never been that impressed with the results,especially on tree leaves.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And what techniques are you using, IamSam?
The techniques I use will vary from image to image. I will use the best technique for the situation. 9 times out of 10 it will usually be alpha channel masking of some sort.

pkk

Okay. Would that be helpful when replacing a sky with trees in the foreground? Refine edge has never done that great on that kind of job. I see all kinds of claims that it can mask even very fine hair, which I've never tried, but I'm sceprical. It doesn't do that great with tree leaves.

Thanks

Pkk

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Refine edge is a tool for helping you 'refine' your selection. It's mostly used to improve selections made with Ps' native selection tools such as Quick Selection and the Magic Wand Tool. They work really well with well defined areas that are fairly consistent with similar tones and colors. But refine edge is not the magic one 'button' solution that's required with more difficult selections and at least for me, offers very poor results in most cases.

I think the natural progression with Ps' learning curve is to move on to better selection techniques. As I stated in my post above, depending on the situation I use some variation of alpha channel masking most of the time. I also like the quick mask mode. I also like using a layer mask and the Brush Tool. And if you are not an expert with the Pen Tool by now, you should be.

For sky's that involve bushes or trees or any other perforated objects, I will only use alpha channel masking techniques.

There is no one perfect tool or technique for making selections. Again, depending on the image, you may incorporate several different techniques to make one good selection.

pkk

My workflow is to get the best selection I can using quick mask, & then apply a mask. I then play with the refine mask edge screen to try to improve the mask around trees & to get rid of the white line that always appears around the edge of the mask. That part works pretty well. I think I'll be looking at alpha channel masking for trees.

Thanks