What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masking Layer Effects.

MrToM

Guru
The following image is a simple ring created from a circular shape of 600px dia with a second concentric circle shape of 400px dia subtracted from it.

masking_effects_MT_01.png

On that shape are two effects, a 'Drop shadow' and a 'Bevel & Emboss'.

Now, the 'Drop Shadow' is displayed 'outside' the shape as you would expect and so in order to remove the effect from 'inside' the ring I can just add a layer mask using the inner circle path. Setting the Blending Options to mask the effects means the drop shadow is hidden....all good so far.

masking_effects_MT_02.png

masking_effects_MT_03.png

The tricky bit is this...as the 'Bevel & Emboss' affects the INSIDE of the shape, how would one go about masking the effect on the inside of the ring, in other words, the hole, without also removing the shape itself?

It can be done by changing the 'Bevel & Emboss' to an 'Outside' bevel but then the overall dimensions of the ring also change....its important that the outer and inner circles do not change their size.

The same goes for the holes around the edge, they inherit the effects of the 'ring' as they too are subtracted from the large 600px circle shape, but what if I don't want any effect around these 'holes'...?

I do have a solution of splitting the thing into various parts and removing the effects where I don't need them but I'm just curious to know how somebody else would tackle this problem, is there a much simpler, more elegant way to do this?

I've supplied the PSD file for anyone to experiment with...

View attachment masking_effects_MT_01.psd

As always I'd very much appreciate anyone giving it a go and posting their solutions using the provided PSD file....just for consistency.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just letting you know I'm investigating this. You always come up with the hard ones! LOL!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This was about the best solution I could work out for the time being.

I just placed a duplicate of the ring below the main ring layer (with the effects) and used the same 'advance blending option' applied the main ring layer, to mask out the bevel and emboss, just like it did with the drop shadow.
Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 9.42.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 9.42.12 AM.png

I don't know if I've been much help, because I know you know all this.

I also like the technique if I want to apply different B&E to different parts of the image/ring.
Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 10.11.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 10.11.30 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
Hmmm...that would work....maybe I was thinking too hard over it! :banghead:

I guess those two layers can become an SO which keeps it non-destructive....I like that. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, much appreciated, sometimes its the simplest of things that just escape me....DOH!

(And yeah, for different do-dahs....etc etc....hmmm...that works too...scrumdiddlyumptious!)

Blonde moment over.....nothing to see here.

Regards.
MrToM.