What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with cut-outs

annabee

Hi - I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the 'asking for free editing' part. I'd just like a little help/advice on cut-outs. My photoshop skills are generally ok, but my dark secret is that I'm *terrible* at doing selections and cut-outs. I have such a complex about it now. I've been trying for ages to do this one - I've tried creating a mask from channels with dodging and burning on the mask, and using smudge tool on the mask, but I can't get anything that isn't really awful and either looks hard-edged and cut-out-y, or soft-edged with a light halo around her (because I guess replacing light background with dark background). So I wanted to ask a favour of someone who's confident with really good cut-outs - could you do this one for me and do a screen record whilst you're doing it so I can learn how you do it to get a good result? I'd be *so* grateful!
The forum won't seem to let me upload the files, so I've put them in my public dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3kv49aeqp0o85dl/AACtoTHylnn5Um7UZr3yYeGma?dl=0

Eggy

Retired Moderator
In this particular case the focus was set on the face making the surrounding parts out of focus in degrees depending on the choosen settings.

PS will never be able to isolate in a crisp way the hair parts out of focus. The used background doesn't help.

Most of these 'cut outs' have as purpose to be placed on another background and therefore the technique used by Lee Varis in my previous link is the best way to deal with it.