What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this possible?

icphotoguy

Any of you gurus know of a way to automate a process to identify the grey scale of an individual pixel and do a global replace for all such pixels with a specific image file? That process would then be replicated with a different image for each range in the grey scale. A little weird, I know, but so am I.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Not sure about your question yet, but I'm hoping that others may chime in to offer some advice. I'm certain we have discussed the grayscale value of a pixel before and I will try to find the thread.

MrToM

Guru
I'm under no doubt that your question makes perfect sense to you, but as an outsider reading it for the first time...well, even several times over its still a little confusing.

I'll go through it bit by bit, that way you can see what needs further explanation, for me anyway.

...Any of you gurus know of a way to automate a process...
It has been known to happen, yes......so far so good! :thumbsup:

...a process to identify the grey scale of an individual pixel...
Using what method?

There are several methods to convert colour to greyscale, all of which give a slightly different result. Some are built into PS, some are not and would need to be written into a script. Depending on what method you need to do this will determine how this "automation" will be executed, so its important to know.

...do a global replace for all such pixels with a specific image file?...
Now, you've turned this statement into a question which kind of indicates you are not sure yourself if it's the right thing to do. To me personally this reads that you want to replace all the pixels of a certain 'greyscale' value with a whole image file.

If we knew what the 'goal' of the process was we could ascertain for ourselves a way to do it.

What you describe cannot of course be done as I read it, so this is a bit confusing as to what you mean.

...That process would then be replicated with a different image for each range in the grey scale...
Range in the greyscale?
What 'range' would that be then?
How is this 'range' defined within the 256 available?
Also, what 'image' is being used here and for what purpose?
Do I assume there will 256 different images?
How does the image get used in the 'greyscale' scheme of things?
Where are all these images?

...A little weird, I know, but so am I...
I understand completely. :thumbsup:

With such a 'specific' process you are going to have really nail down every little detail in order for anyone to fully understand what needs to happen.

Automation need not be difficult, but in order for anyone to even start to think how to 'Automate' something they must first have a rock solid knowledge of how it happens 'manually'.

Any chance of a manual example?

I'm sure we can come up with something for you....once we know what the process is trying to do.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks, MrToM -- I had many of the same questions.

However, in addition there is one more phrase in the OP's post that I just can't wrap my head around. He said, "...and do a global replace for all such pixels with a specific image file?...".

I read the written word very literally, so I'm trying to figure out what it means to replace even just one single pixel with a whole file. Perhaps MrToM's interpretation is correct, but, for all I know, it could just as likely mean something entirely different.

Until this part of the post is made clear, unfortunately, I just don't see any point in moving on.

Tom M