What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is this pattern created?

BigZombieMonkey

Hello all, I have been using photoshop for a very long time and got myself into some very bad habits, I don't use the program to it's full potential and something that could take 5 minutes takes me long periods of time to create due to these bad habits.
I am currently trying to replicate the pattern on this shirt but have no idea how to go about it efficiently?

napoli-91-home-ls-pi.jpg

Usually I would just make a selection and colour it manually but I know there are a lot efficient ways to make the pattern, I just don't know what they are and as I don't know the name of the style of this pattern I cannot google it. I would imagine with a board full of well informed and very adept users of Photoshop someone could point me to a tutorial or explain exactly how they would go about recreating this pattern?

Thank you to anyone who can spare me the time or help me with this.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM - While I'm certain that our OP knows how you created the pattern, is there any chance you could do a quick rundown of how you did it for those current and future viewers who may not know?

MrToM

Guru
OK, you asked for it.....19 minutes and 11 seconds of pure, unadulterated, raw, unedited, directors cut, in-yer-face photoshopping you'll get today.

If you want to get back 1.5 minutes of your life you can skip between 6:00 and 7:30....I must have got a double click when creating the shapes so this minute and a half is just me correcting that.

Otherwise....its warts 'n' all.

19:11 NO AUDIO

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...I did miss a small piece of it but if you wanted it exactly the same then its just repetition of the previous routine.

(That's fancy talk for "mess about with it till it looks right"...) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BigZombieMonkey

OK, you asked for it.....19 minutes and 11 seconds of pure, unadulterated, raw, unedited, directors cut, in-yer-face photoshopping you'll get today.

If you want to get back 1.5 minutes of your life you can skip between 6:00 and 7:30....I must have got a double click when creating the shapes so this minute and a half is just me correcting that.

19:11 NO AUDIO

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...I did miss a small piece of it but if you wanted it exactly the same then its just repetition of the previous routine.

This is amazing, thank you so much. Videos like this are a fantastic help :)

Regards.
MrToM.

Clearly I am a slacker.

MrToM

Guru
Clearly I am a slacker.
Not sure I fully understand, would you have done it in an easier way...without as much effort?

I'm sure we'd all like an easier ride....care to share your solution?

Regards.
MrToM.

No.

I meant I have never posted such a well-done, comprehensive answer, with video and everything. (seriously!) I need to step up my game like other gurus.

I'm impressed.

Agent

MrToM

Guru
AH...I see. :biglaff:

I was going to say, if anyone was to be called a slacker it certainly wouldn't be you....I've seen what you do and that isn't the work of a slacker.

In this instance It was just easier to show how I did what I did visually rather than try to explain it in words.....keeping in the errors and not editing anything means people can learn from MY mistakes....they can see where I screw up and how I correct it.

I joked about it being the best thing seen that day as, well, its 'warts and all' with nothing taken out....so not a very 'polished' performance....sarcasm at my own expense! :rofl:

Regards.
MrToM.

My biggest effort is probably just taking a screenshot of my layers panel to show how I did something.

I bow to your guruness!!!

Agent

MrToM

Guru
Thanks, but its not the first time I've done this....maybe you missed the other 60 or so videos.

Screenshots are fine, its better than a one word / sentence answer that some people give....now those ARE slackers! :rofl:

Regards.
MrToM.