What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas what Effects were used to create this Photo?

Grant Dicks

I realize a lof of this image was in a careful photography setup, but Im interested in how to styalize photos in this way. Seems to be some selective black and white, and the face coloring makes it appear almost HDR but I cant quite figure it out.... The high contrast in the ice is a nice effect too...Any help would be great...
pck01.jpeg

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
In the first place this was obviously staged and then processed in PS.
Find the right surface, adding snowdust, shadows, light and a bit of HDR.

I picked a random picture

DFJ14080409_Sweden_v_USA.jpg

and turned it into

ice-hockey.jpg

in about one hour (lazy sunday afternoon)

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
- Well Sam I started by isolating the hockey player and saved it as a PNG.
- Opened a black background
- Opened the scratched ice background and placed it over the black one, applied perspective, made an elliptical selection, featered it. Made a layer mask and with a dust brush 'deleted' some of the featered border.
- Opened the 'snow on ice picture and placed it on the scratched ice layer, applied a layer mask and brushed away an arc. Lowered down a bit the opacity.
- On a new layer with the dust brush in white I placed the ice dust on the arc.
- Placed the player, applied several times NIK filter HDR (ctrl+F), reduced the saturation to near 0, layermask to reveal the head.
- Placed the shadow in multiply , blurred and reduced opacity.
- On a new layer placed some more ice dust in the field (click once in light grey, move up a very tiny bit, press x to change to white and click again - otherwise the ice dust would be invisible)
- Made the plexiglass a bit transparant, add reflection
- Dodge a lot to enhance the light parts.
- Made a snapshot (ctrl+shift+alt+E)
- Played with raw filter

That's about it in a nutshell

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I'm a bit confused after trying to explain the 'how I did it', just because I realise I did all that on automatic pilot.
I looked at the OP's image and I knew how it was made and I started making it.
I'm glad I kept the PSD file for awhile...(Although once again I forgot to name the layers :banghead:)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm a bit confused after trying to explain the 'how I did it', just because I realise I did all that on automatic pilot.
I looked at the OP's image and I knew how it was made and I started making it.
I'm glad I kept the PSD file for awhile...(Although once again I forgot to name the layers :banghead:)
I do everything on auto pilot. Sometimes I have to start from scratch in order to explain it, so I know exactly what your talking about.

You did a great job, thanks!

Grant Dicks

Thanks for the info here. I was able to get somewhere close to where you ended up in your attempt. However, the photo has lots its realism and gone a little further toward the cartoonized end of the realism scale.

I am wondering how to maintain the photo quality but tone the skin to the shown HDR like effect? Anyone have any advice? Maybe this is an action or plug in, if so which ones might be used for this effect?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Make a copy of the picture and apply the hdr effect on it until you're satisfied with the skin part.
Apply a layer mask on the layer copy and brush away everything except the face.