What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directional Blur on Text

Retrophonica

Now Playing.jpgHi everyone

I'm trying to blur some text i've added to a photo of a turntable

I'm trying to blur it to make it look like it's turning (with the turntable)

But my blurs just aren't looking correct

Any ideas or advice always appreciated - See my attached attempt

Thanks
Andy

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Do you have the original picture without the text? If yes, please upload that one so I can explain how to do this.

Retrophonica

I think in my head I wanted to see the left hand side of the text still quite sharp and the blur going off to the right as the turntable span to show it's motion

but if that isn't realistic to what would happen naturally I'm all up for suggestion

Thanks

Eggy

Retired Moderator
- Open your picture
- type the text in the font, color and size you want and make a smart object of it (to be able to change applied filters)
- place the text on his place by using warp
- apply path blur in the blur gallery

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

You can change the speed and taper as you wish.

As it is a smart object you can go back to the applied filter to make changes.

Here's a tutorial on path blur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTMQTzVpDI

Another way to do this is by using motion blur.
But since you have to set your blur direction make the text first without changing it, turn it into a smart object. Apply the motion blur 0° on the text as it is.
Once applied move the text to his place and warp it on his correct place. Warping it into a curve will assure that the blur direction stays in the curve of the text.

Last edited:

Retrophonica

Thanks Eggy for the detailed reply - I will give that a go... My first attempt was with Motion but I was testing and guessing so I'll now go back and try these methods
I say this every time but you guys are so helpful - thank you
Andy

gedstar

Guru
If you need to lesson the effect on the left side you can mask it out with the brush tool, once it's a smart object that is

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Of course you can also add a gradient on the text, bright in the foreground and darker further away

NO%20TEXT%20Now%20Playing gradient.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I added a 'wind' stylize filter and just used a layer mask and a Gradient to adjust the blur.
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 11.07.24 AM.png

If you like it I will explain what I did.