What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me making this photo.

awaixjvd

Hi
I need kind assistance with creating such thing as show in sample picture attached. I am going to explain the thing i want to make, in a bit more detail:

1. I want to create frames of different sizes and shapes and then the parts of image within those frames be shown only and rest is going to be deleted. The blank area (deleted parts) will have another picture "below it". I am stuck at this part. I am using square selection box to make different (multiple) frames on the main image but the problem is their symmetrical alignment which i am unable to do. I tried making different layers of each selection but then the gaps (sections to be deleted later) become of different sizes.

2. The next thing i want to do is, adding drop shadow to each frame. I work in Adobe Illustrator, and there it is quite easy but in photoshop i had to click Fx and add drop shadow. But with this the problem is, when i apply drop shadow to one layer, the same is applied to all layers. I am applying it to other parts and it is obvious but to the extreme right side it is not applied. Obviously it is applied but it is not in the visible part. How can i apply it at different angle from other layers.

3. Finally i want to make it a .psd which is to be used later on as well. As in the lower experimental picture of photoshop in which i am doing work. I want to make the layer 0 as an editable layer. I have seen some facebook covers psd which have made frames and one can drag and drop any image in that. In this case of mine, i want to make it use-able later on too, that i drag any other photo in its place and frame shapes remain the same.

The green wallpaper is for reference to give you an idea what i want to make. I have attached a "experimental image" of what i am doing and showing you the problem.

Please help me, i have to make a project using this.

Attachments

• surface_green_black_gray_274_1680x1050.jpg
    surface_green_black_gray_274_1680x1050.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2016-12-05 00 31 32.jpg
    2016-12-05 00 31 32.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

You may want to try Clipping masks.

Background layer.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.02.06 PM.png

Rectangle on new layer.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.02.22 PM.png

Drop shadow added to rectangle.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.02.31 PM.png

Image on top layer.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.04.22 PM.png

Image clipped to rectangle layer.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.02.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.05.30 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can also move or add rectangles.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.07.30 PM.png

You can also apply differing drop shadows to individual rectangles.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.10.11 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can group rectangles.

Here I have a center rectangle.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.31.38 PM.png

Then I grouped the right and left rectangles.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.31.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.32.06 PM.png

Now I can add a layer style to the group itself.
Here's the grouped layers with a drop shadows.
Not the drop shadows are opposite for each group.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.32.23 PM.png

The you add an image copy for each group (and center) and clip them to the group layers.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.32.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.38.35 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
awaixjvd said:
3. Finally i want to make it a .psd which is to be used later on as well. As in the lower experimental picture of photoshop in which i am doing work. I want to make the layer 0 as an editable layer. I have seen some facebook covers psd which have made frames and one can drag and drop any image in that. In this case of mine, i want to make it use-able later on too, that i drag any other photo in its place and frame shapes remain the same.

Sorry, I forgot to explain this part.

Since I converted the first image layer into a smart object, when I made copies of it to use for the right and left (center) panel groups, you can quickly change the image that appears within the the panels just by double clicking any of the smart object layers and editing, then save the edit.

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 10.46.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 10.44.14 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here I created a background.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.18.23 PM.png

I then made some rectangular panels which I place in a group.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.18.32 PM.png

I then added a drop shadow layer style to the group.
(Doing it this way, you can only add on specific drop shadow to all the panels)
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.18.44 PM.png

I then clipped my main image, that I converted to a smart object, to the group.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.18.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.23.36 PM.png

Of course I can change the image that appears within the rectangular panels just by double clicking the smart object and editing.....save changes.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 11.27.42 PM.png

awaixjvd

Thanks a lot dear. It was such a complete step by step guide telling each and every step involved for making it a perfect one. I couldn't be more thankful for such a kind help.

I felt like you liked doing it as well :p

Once again, i am honored and thankful to you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
awaixjvd said:
Thanks a lot dear.
Yikes! LOL!!!

awaixjvd said:
It was such a complete step by step guide telling each and every step involved for making it a perfect one. I couldn't be more thankful for such a kind help.

I felt like you liked doing it as well :p

Not a problem! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

awaixjvd

You can also move or add rectangles.

You can also apply differing drop shadows to individual rectangles.

Hi
I am sorry i am disturbing you again but i was a bit stuck here with an issue and couldn't find solution to it.
While i try to apply drop shadow, it applied the same drop shadow to all the layers. I am unable to apply different drop shadows to the extreme left and extreme right layer.

Last edited:

awaixjvd

I tried to make a certain mock up of what i am trying to do. I want to add a banner down in the middle empty area beneath the bars.

The attached image is one of Ps and other is from Ai. I have done the Ps work and now i want to work further in Ai. But here i am facing an issue. The Ai opens the file but not editable.

I tried opening the simple PSD file in Ai but it is not editable (means that the components of Ps are not movable, it's just one JPG)
I tried exporting the paths from Ps to Ai but it shows nothing in the file. The Ps is almost around 70mb and Ai file is 685 bytes.
I tried saving the file as Ai, but opening the .Ai in Ai, again shows nothing editable.

Also the resolution is seemingly reduced in Ai. It's going to be a print file for an album cover.

If you can help me further, please do guide me.

Attachments

• 2016-12-10 02 59 26.jpg
    2016-12-10 02 59 26.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2016-12-10 03 01 03.jpg
    2016-12-10 03 01 03.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi
I am sorry i am disturbing you again but i was a bit stuck here with an issue and couldn't find solution to it.
While i try to apply drop shadow, it applied the same drop shadow to all the layers. I am unable to apply different drop shadows to the extreme left and extreme right layer.

As I stated, just apply a drop shadow to each of the individual rectangles.

Rectangles
Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.37.21 AM.png

Right drop shadow
Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.37.31 AM.png

Now I did not mention because I assumed you knew this, but
Just in case you don't, .........

You have to turn off the 'use global light'
Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.35.41 AM copy.png

Left drop shadow.
Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.35.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.43.48 AM.png

As I also explained, you can also group your right rectangles separate from the left, and then apply the layer style with a drop shadow to the group itself.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I tried to make a certain mock up of what i am trying to do. I want to add a banner down in the middle empty area beneath the bars.

The attached image is one of Ps and other is from Ai. I have done the Ps work and now i want to work further in Ai. But here i am facing an issue. The Ai opens the file but not editable.

I tried opening the simple PSD file in Ai but it is not editable (means that the components of Ps are not movable, it's just one JPG)
I tried exporting the paths from Ps to Ai but it shows nothing in the file. The Ps is almost around 70mb and Ai file is 685 bytes.
I tried saving the file as Ai, but opening the .Ai in Ai, again shows nothing editable.

Also the resolution is seemingly reduced in Ai. It's going to be a print file for an album cover.

If you can help me further, please do guide me.
Why would you need to work in Ai?
You can add the banner in Ps.

awaixjvd

Why would you need to work in Ai?
You can add the banner in Ps.

Well actually the problem is, i have a lot of .ai and .eps files which have awesome banners and borders. Let me tell you what is the main point. The final work will be an editable .psd having this photo swapping capability for using in multiple projects. I have done the initial work in Ps and now i want to work in Ai to add the banners and borders which i have in .ai and .eps (mostly in .ai). At this point i have two options:

1. The .ai stuff has a lot of other things which i don't want to use but only a certain part of it. So, i must work in Ai on .psd
2. When i try to export the .ai into .psd or .jpg, the resolution falls significantly and becomes pixelated type of thing which is not good for printing.

This is the reason, i have to work in two software (Ps and Ai) and again at the end the file should be a .psd.

To give you clear picture of this confusing discussion, let me tell you what it is going to be.
It is a wedding album cover (title page) which i want to make and which is re-usable (for swapping the images in the background and rectangles). This i want to make it a .psd because it is editable by other users of my lab (they know only working in Ps and not the Ai). This is the final thing which i am trying to make. In between that, i want to either work in both Ps and Ai OR bring Ai stuff to Ps in high resolution.

But the problem in bringing the .ai stuff over to Ps is, that Ai has more advanced options to change the colors, drop shadows, shading, glow, 3D effects etc because a vector is better handles in Ai rather than the Ps.

So, i want your kind help here at this point.

How do i work on a .psd file in Ai and saving it still in .psd with it's layers and groups (discussed above) intact and use-able.

I am really thankful to you for your help so far. I am really stuck at this point.