What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review/Comment/Help First photo manipulation

mikyla123

Hi Guys,

this is my first photo manipulation and I'm struggling to make all the different elements look like they belong together, any suggestions.

Also feel free to comment what you think about other parts of the image as well.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.33.54 am.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Very nice attempt with a few things that you may want to consider.

The blurry background is odd and is throwing unwanted attention on the main subjects..............which makes them look separated and not part of the image. Your blending is very nice.

The lighting is close but subtly different on all four subjects, especially the child on the far right.

The lighting and shading on the baskets and their contents is off. The contents look as though they are stacked too high and would be falling out. I wonder what the contents are and conclude that they must be very light whatever they are!

The main thing that draws my attention is that the three children (from left to right) are holding the baskets in unnatural ways and the child to the right could not be carrying her basket in that manner and it's at an odd angle. All the subjects hands look unnatural except the girl second from the left.

I think your doing a great job it just needs a little tweaking.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello again.

It's been brought to my attention that I may have overlooked the out of focus 'bokeh' background that you were trying to create. I can assure you that I have not. I'm well aware and familiar with the type of effect you were attempting. The effect was not executed as well as it could have been and it's distracting. This distraction is what's throwing unwanted attention to the main subjects.

At the time of my initial posting, I was rushed as I needed to attend to another matter, this was why I did not offer any details. So let me explain. The out of focus blur is stronger at the edges of the image than at the center and stronger on the right hand side of the image than on left. The appearance out of focus blur is different on the upper right hand side than on the left. The blur on the dirt road is not gradated.

The characteristics of the out of focus or bokeh effect are the reason why I used the term odd. I hope that explains things.