What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

easy selection of colors

Hey Guys.

Im having trouble selction certain colors in an easy way.
Right now I'm using the pen tool, but it takes to long time.
Color range and replace color is not giving me a good enough result.

I've attached the image so you can see what I mean.

It' a camuflage pattern, 3 colors, that I need to divide.

Attachments

• 15_104_art.jpg
    15_104_art.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 14
I just dont think it makes a good enough selection when the pattern is so detailed.
I would think that color range would be the best option, but for some reason it can't seperate the colors enough.

Maybe I should just realize that I have to use the pen tool, and click my way around everything. I'm just feeling a bit to lazy for that.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't usually question, but why are you trying to separate/divide the colors?

Argos

Guru
I dont see the colour range in this case, i didn't have a problem selection with the magic want adjusting the tolerancy in every case.. its slow but i think pen tool it's tremendous tedious job XD. Of course like iamsam said without knowing the why and the level of perfection your work needs to be done its difficult to know.

Maybe another solution will be removing the colours and make the countourn more noticeable to easy the selection of the diferents colours.

Example

15_104_ar6t.jpg

I desaturated the image, and added contrast with curves.
15_104_art chrisdesign.jpg

I used the magic wand on this image to separate the "3 colors".
Add a new layer for each color, fill it with the color of your choice, set the blend mode to "darken".

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-17 um 11.18.52.png

It's possible to do it, but it needs a lot of patience and constant adjustments of the tolerance of the magic wand tool.

Tom Mann

Guru
I think Chris hit the nail on the head when he said that lots of patience is required.

In addition, there is another problem with semi-automated methods like the magic wand (even with constant adjustment of the tolerance), and that is that if the image is sharp enough, every thread will have a bright top and be surrounded by darker shadows. These variations in brightness might easily overlap the differences in brightness between the three camouflage "colors", so one has to only be including contiguous areas, not all areas of a similar color, and that slows one down even more, and in the worst cast (ie, extremely sharp photo, with grazing incidence lighting to bring out the texture), may not work at all.

As I think everyone is seeing, doing this sort of work in post production becomes an extremely labor intensive process with no guarantee of a credible result especially on more complicated / subtle camo designs, and really must be compared with the cost of having someone sew another version of the product out of a solid color fabric.

This request also made me wonder why one would need to do this post production work at all. If this is for an e-business that is trying to market a version of the jacket without a camouflage pattern, must the business not already have samples that could be photographed?

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Tom Mann is right!

But we are a B2B company, and we are making a salesbook too our customers to see what the like.
But we only get one sample home, change the details and colors.
And then if our customers buy the style, we start the production. Thats why.

You can discuss if it would be cheaper to get the samples home right away, but again, then I would not have a job.

I now spend two days on the jacket, and I'm finally done.
I have attached so you can see the result, the colors is not right though, but just to set an example.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

15_104_art_jpg.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahh... OK on the b2b nature of your company and your job, LOL. I understand.

Best regards,

Tom M