What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negative photo how to

Michael1980

Well I know how to create an inverted image ao it looks like a negative
My question is. What do you use if you want to see the nagative as a normal photo

My idea is to make a card and maybe use a filmstrib with negatives at the front. But can you see it at a normal colored photo through some glasses or what do you do

sc00t

Are you asking how to print an image you have inverted & made into a negative, and then "see it in full colour" once it's printed out?

Because I don't think that's going to be do-able. The colour data won't exist.

Tom Mann

Guru
Well I know how to create an inverted image ao (sic) it looks like a negative
My question is. What do you use if you want to see the nagative (sic) as a normal photo

My idea is to make a card and maybe use a filmstrib (sic) with negatives at the front. But can you see it at a normal colored photo through some glasses or what do you do
To be honest, like sc00t, I really don't understand what you are asking. However, my guess is that you are asking what to do with a negative to turn it back into a normal positive so it can will look "normal" when viewed by eye (without hypothetical "glasses"). If that is your question, then the answer is simple - there are no "magic glasses" that will turn negatives into positives unless you want to consider using a virtual reality headset.

However:

a) If you intend viewers to look at the result on a computer screen, and you are talking about black and white negatives, just load the digitized "negative" into PS, hit control-I (ie, invert), and you will get a positive image. It may not be the best version that one could obtain, but it certainly will produce a usable and obviously positive image.

b) If you intend viewers to look at the result as a normal black and white paper print, do what I said in (a) and then just print the result on a computer printer.

c) If you are talking about real (ie, film) color negatives and prints, (a) and (b), above won't work because real (ie, film) negatives are produced on material which has an orange cast (even in the supposedly transparent areas), and this won't be duplicated by simply using Photoshop's "invert" command. If you are interested in this, let us know and we can point you to the correct tutorials.

d) If we have misinterpreted what you want, please elaborate on your original question.

Cheers,

Tom M

Michael1980

Thanks my idea was to make a card where the front is a filmstrip and i thought of using negatives in it and print the card. But I understand the difficulties in wearing glasses that translate that to a normal photo. I just found it funny if its possible for a low cost but i might just use mormal photos then