What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create a mask with a straight but rotated edge

rtcary

I am using the stamp tool and need to go up to a straight edge (i.e a picture frame). If I use the rectangular marque tool then use the transform to rotate it, the background rotates with it.

I'm missing something...

Thank you...

Todd

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Hi

I assume you mean the Clone Stamp Tool, to rotate a selection with the rectangular marque tool it has to be on a separtate layer, so you have to make a select with that tool and hit CTRL J to copy it to a new layer then you can hit CRTL T to free transfer it

Untitled4.jpg

I'm a little confused about this bit "I am using the stamp tool and need to go up to a straight edge (i.e a picture frame)." and the title "Create a mask with a straight but rotated edge"

Can you explain a bit more about what you're trying to acheive, perhaps screenshots would help

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you want to rotate a selection made by the Rectangular Marquee Tool without rotating the selected content, go to SELECT > TRANSFORM SELECTION then rotate.

You can also right click within the selection and choose, TRANSFORM SELECTION.

The easiest way would be to use the Lasso Tool, Polygonal Lasso Tool, or the Pen Tool to make the selection to begin with.

rtcary

Sorry, I was not clear about what I want to do and I may not be using the correct approach.

I want to use the Clone Stamp Tool to remove the reflection from the document. Since the reflection crosses a straight line, it would certainly help if I could create a mask with a straight edge.

Todd

Stamp with Mask.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I was not clear about what I want to do and I may not be using the correct approach.

I want to use the Clone Stamp Tool to remove the reflection from the document. Since the reflection crosses a straight line, it would certainly help if I could create a mask with a straight edge.
Yes we understood. I would use the Polygonal Lasso Tool or the Pen tool to create a selection (marquis) to work within.

Here's an image where I want to remove the cup spill from the post-it note.
I use the Polygonal Lasso Tool (or the Pen Tool) to create a selection/marquee on the straight edges to serve as a mask (old airbrushing term).
Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 9.41.18 PM.png

Then I use the Clone Stamp Tool to clone out the spill........the mask (selection/marquee) preserves the straight edges.
Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 9.42.19 PM.png

Final
Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 9.46.16 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am using the stamp tool and need to go up to a straight edge (i.e a picture frame). If I use the rectangular marque tool then use the transform to rotate it, the background rotates with it.

I'm missing something...

I also answered you original question...........
Me said:
If you want to rotate a selection made by the Rectangular Marquee Tool without rotating the selected content, go to SELECT > TRANSFORM SELECTION then rotate.

You can also right click within the selection and choose, TRANSFORM SELECTION.

rtcary

Worked perfectly!! The downside is I felt on the stupid side since I have been using Photoshop enough years to have thought of the Polygon Lasso -- guess Lightroom does so much that I use to do in Photoshop that I have forgotten some of the "tricks".

With appreciation...

Todd