What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding design to a face

billyshears

Is there a good tutorial that would show me how to add an intricate design to part of someones face like in the poster for Star Wars Rogue 1? (Poster attached)rogueone_onesheeta_1000_309ed8f6.jpg

Thanks

fredfish

Guru
What you need to be looking at is tutorials that talk about blending modes and about blending layers.

I suspect what has been done here (and actually not in a particularly expert way! - I say that to say how straightforward the process is rather than to diminish the effect of the design. Sometimes a simple process can produce elegant solutions) is that an underlying layer has been blended with a top layer.

If you zoom right in on this poster you will see that the main characters facial designs are actually elements showing through from the ship underneath.

I dont know how well you know Photoshop but what has happened here is that the character has been placed on a layer either above or below the image of the ship and then blending modes and / masking have been used to let the "design" from the ship show through to the face.

If you know about layers, masks etc. and blending modes but still need more info then let me know.

Last edited:

Jerry D

Power User
I gotta play with these! Are you sure they're not displacement maps, John?

poster2.jpg