What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mirror refelctions

Owens92

can anyone tell me how to remove reflections from mirror pictures? I've attached a picture iv'e taken and a picture of how id like it to look.
SY091.JPG907.jpg

MrToM

Guru
You've kind of answered your own question really.

You cannot remove reflections, what would you replace them with?

The answer is to replace the reflections, and you've already given an example of what the replacements would look like, gradients of grey.

You've just to replace the reflective parts with grey gradients, as in your example.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As MrToM described.

You have to make a selection of the area you wish to replace.
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.41.28 AM.png

On a new layer above the mirror layer, (with the selection active) use the Gradient Tool set to a greyish gradient to replace the reflection.
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.43.10 AM.png

You can also use the Brush Tool (set to white, and hardness of 0%) to highlight the gradient if you didn't manage to do this with the gradient itself.
Hold down the shift key to keep the brush stroke straight.
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.45.36 AM.png

Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.45.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.54.52 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Sam.

Personally I would take another photo without a whole bunch of other mirrors being reflected in the mirror.

Maybe angle the mirror or place a neutral coloured card or cloth in front of it to be seen as the reflection.

Using PS to do this seems the hard way, especially as the OP took the photo originally although this PP may be an after-thought.

Regards.
MrToM.

Owens92

Thanks Guys!!!! that picture walk through really helped I've managed to get all my mirror pictures with just grey reflections now :D.