What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hair on white background looks horrible :(

Noz03

I don't even know how to describe it, but a lot of times when I take a backlit photo the edges get a bit weird and it looks terrible :( Does anyone know what could be done to fix this in photoshop?

hr_DN3_0996.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

You say you took the photo.............is this a Photoshop question or a photography lighting question?

Did you remove the original background?

Noz03

Hello and welcome to PSG.

You say you took the photo.............is this a Photoshop question or a photography lighting question?

Did you remove the original background?

Hi :)

I am asking about photoshop, I know I should have taken the photo better but for this shot it is too late now :(

This is the photo without any editing at all. I plan to completely whiten the background and do a bunch of retouching, I am just unsure what to do about the horrible edges of her hair.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is more of a studio lighting problem than anything.

Removing stray hairs makes the photo look Photoshopped. But it can be "cleaned up" with Photoshop.

Duplicate the original and deactivate.

Create a new layer below the duplicate and fill with white.

Add a layer mask to the duplicate layer.
Use the Brush Tool with a medium soft brush with a lowered opacity to clean up the hair.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.50.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.51.02 AM.png

There was some shadowing on either side of the subject that gets removed. You can add that back later if you like.

Create a stamp visible layer. Select the uppermost layer, Shift/option/command/E
Use the Blur Tool to blend the edges.

note: I did this very fast so it's not perfect. You take your time.
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 10.57.41 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I did not see your latest post.

If you have a Wacom style Tablet, a better option might be to use the Brush Tool to enhance or draw in extra hairs. This looks more natural to me.
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 11.20.43 AM.png

Noz03

Sorry, I did not see your latest post.

If you have a Wacom style Tablet, a better option might be to use the Brush Tool to enhance or draw in extra hairs. This looks more natural to me.
View attachment 72793

Thanks!

I used a combination of both the methods you suggested, here was the result:

www.photoshopgurus.com.jpg

Feel free to give your honest opinion how I did :)

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I still think these two areas need some work.
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 12.15.51 PM.png

The most important thing is how it looks for you or your client. As long as you and the client are happy, then you've accomplished your goal.